BPA January Newsletter
From: Ken Gutermuth (conventiondirectorboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:10:53 -0800 (PST)
January 2018 Newsletter

MEMBERSHIP RATES INCREASE FEBRUARY 1: The BPA annual membership drive
continues but prices will increase on February 1, 2018.  If you still want
to get the lowest rates, you must complete and submit the online application
at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml and submit payment via
Paypal or check.  To receive the price before it increases, the form and the
payment must be submitted before February 1 (Paypal payment sent or check
postmarked before February 1, 2018).

TRIAL EVENT & SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD VOTING ENDS JANUARY 31: The voting for the
2017 Sportsman of the Year and the 2018 Trial Events ends with the
membership price increase on February 1.  This is the last chance to
influence events to be held at WBC 2018.  Sportsmanship nominees can be
found at http://boardgamers.org/wbc17/sportmanNominees.html and the trial
listing can be found at http://boardgamers.org/wbc18/orphans.html

CALL FOR GM's FOR 2018: Now is the time to submit an event form
<http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php>  for the WBC 2018 events.
Please complete the form carefully and completely since it will be used to
determine event location for WBC 2018.  Reminder that you must be a BPA
member for 2018 to GM an event.  The Orphans page has been updated as of
January 28 at http://boardgamers.org/wbc18/orphans.html .

SEVEN SPRINGS RESERVATIONS:  Hotel Reservations opened on January 16 for
stays of 5 nights or more.  Remember that Reservations at Seven Springs for
Condos/Townhouses, Chalets, and Cabins can also be booked at this time.  For
more information, visit the lodging page on the BPA website at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging_7S.html

EVENT REPORTS:  Good progress is being made on the event reports which are
overdue for posting.  Look for them to be available on the website in
February.

JUNIORS PROGRAM CHANGES:  After a long reign as our Juniors coordinator,
Laurie Wojtaszczyk will be stepping down as our Juniors Program lead.
Please join me in thanking Laurie for her hard work and dedication when you
see her at WBC this year.

Joanna Melton has decided to retire as a Juniors Room monitor also.  Thanks
to Joanna for her years of service.

Crystal Shipley, our other Juniors Room monitor, has agreed to step up and
become our new Juniors Coordinator.  I am glad to have a capable replacement
agree to continue our Juniors Program.  Joining Crystal as a Juniors Room
monitor in 2018 will be Megan Byrd.

We are still in need of another monitor for the Juniors Room.  If you are
interested, please contact Ken Gutermuth at
conventiondirector [at] boardgamers.org
<mailto:conventiondirector [at] boardgamers.org>  .

EURO EVENT COORDINATION:  Eric Freeman has agreed to coordinate the 2018
Euro events again in an attempt to minimize scheduling conflicts.  If you
are a Euro event GM and would like to be a part of this, please contact Eric
at freemaneric [at] comcast.net <mailto:freemaneric [at] comcast.net>  .

BOARD OF DIRECTORS NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their
right to nominate members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at
the next WBC. To appear on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing
by at least three members; one of which must be the nominee. Nominations
must be signed and received at BPA, 7766 Valley View Court, Hickory, NC
28602 no later than February 28, 2018 to be eligible for election in that
year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable, nor can a member nominate
more than one member for the Board. When contemplating nominations, members
should consider that the BPA conducts most of its business by email and
needs Board members who are able and willing to offer their time and skills
to the organization in a timely manner. Besides forwarding a signed
nomination, each nominee must submit a statement not to exceed 100 words
summarizing what they can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of
the BPA by February 28, 2018. The nomination form is on line at
http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.

You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums under Gaming
Related/ Conventions/WBC and Consimworld under Conventions.

          . BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc

          . Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC

          . Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/

          . Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816

PBeM NEWS:

HAMMOND WINS BREAKOUT NORMANDY TOURNAMENT:

Kevin Hammond's Allies have defeated Jim Eliason's Germans to capture the
10th BPA  Breakout: Normandy PBeM Tournament.  The tournament drew 36
players playing a total of 35 games. The top six Laurelists were Kevin
Hammond, followed by Jim Eliason, Larry Meyers, Kevin Wojtaszczyk, Ron
Fedin, and Mike Kaye.  For more information, visit
http://boardgamers.org/pbem/2018/bkn.html .

NEXT BREAKOUT NORMANDY TO BEGIN:  The eleventh BPA Breakout Normandy PBeM
tournament will start on February 15, 2018.  For more information visit
https://sites.google.com/site/breakoutnormandytournament . To sign up,
contact GM Mark Gutfreund at  <mailto:gutfreund15 [at] yahoo.com>
gutfreund15 [at] yahoo.com .

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION BEGINS FEBRUARY 23:  The 2018 Advanced Civilization
PBeM tournament will begin on February 23, 2018.  Tournament information can
be found at http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com.

ANNOUNCING 2018 DIPLOMACY TOURNAMENT: The 2018 BPA Diplomacy PBeM tournament
will begin on March 27, 2018.  Please visit https://diplomacywwi.weebly.com
for more details and to sign up.

ANNOUNCING ADEL VERPFLICHTET START:  All exhibitors, thieves, detectives,
and auctioneers are invited to show their art at castles and palaces around
Europe in 2018 starting April Fools' Day.  Sign up by March 31, 2018 to
demonstrate your talent at collecting, bluffing, heists, and security
whether you call it Hoity Toity, Noblesse Oblige, By Hook or By Crook, or
Adel Verpflichtet!  Get all the details on the tournament at:

 <http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_bpa/adv_format.htm>
http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_bpa/adv_format.htm.

For more information on all the BPA PBeM tournaments, visit
http://www.boardgamers.org/pbem.html

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members.

Others may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts.

All multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance
of that calendar year.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite
game are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not
run tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to
one another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby
as you do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament
at http://www.boardgamers.org/pbem_guidelines.html

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe
by visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm
your address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your
privacy.

We are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.