BPA July Newsletter
From: Ken Gutermuth (conventiondirectorboardgamers.org)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 15:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
BPA JULY 2017 NEWSLETTER

Only seven days and 15 hours until the start of the 2017 WBC.

WBC 2017 PRE-REGISTRATION HAS ENDED: WBC's Pre-Registration is closed. Do
not send payment or attempt to pre-register for WBC 2017 by any means. We
welcome people at the door for the walk-in rate of $30 per day or $130 for
the entire convention, but please remember that neither credit cards nor
Paypal are accepted at registration. Please bring cash or check.

TEAM TOURNAMENT: Longtime track sage, Stuart Tucker has set the odds for the
second Seven Springs Handicap and offered "investment" advice to bracket
managers at  <http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/wbc_teams_handicap.html>
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/wbc_teams_handicap.html.  Can you beat the
Handicapper this year? Who can dethrone the Harry B's as team numbers soared
with 82 teams headed to the starting gate  for the 27th annual run for the
slivers. View the teams at  <http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/teamtour.html>
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/teamtour.html and then study the racing
form for our annual Bracket Busting contest.

WBC PRIMER: All WBC pre-registrants will receive a special email one week
before the convention. Watch for it (and check your SPAM filters if you
don't get it) since it will include among other tips how to enter the Team
Tournament Bracket Busting contest now that the final odds are set, plus
other convention advice. If you are one of the many procrastinators who
forego pre-registration and prefer to pay at the door but would like to
receive the targeted WBC Primer emails containing late breaking schedule
news, Team Tournament Bracket Bustin' notices and other helpful hints sent
only to pre-registrants, please contact
<mailto:conventiondirector [at] boardgamers.org>
conventiondirector [at] boardgamers.org to be added to the list of recipients in
the next couple of days.

WBC PROGRAM ON LINE: A colorized version of the 2017 program containing the
complete alphabetical and chronological schedule is posted on line at
<http://www.boardgamers.org/downloads/program2017.pdf>
http://www.boardgamers.org/downloads/program2017.pdf . The colorized version
is worth downloading and printing - if for no other reason than having an
extra copy as programs are always getting lost. Programs are one to a
customer so if you lose yours, you are out of luck unless you brought a
backup. View the details of your favorite events and then plan your
schedule.

In Year 2 at Seven Springs, program information regarding parking, check-in
and future reservation policy is especially helpful and we strongly suggest
you take the time to read those materials before arrival whether you print a
program or not. You can also find additional scheduling aids online for the
ultimate in planning your week at WBC including apps for android, i-pad,
Kindle and i-phones plus other scheduling tools at
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/schedule.html>
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/schedule.html . Remember to download the
latest updated versions of these apps for 2017.

AUCTION/AUCTION STORE CLOSED: The Auction again sold out in record time this
year. Those contemplating selling items need to wait till next year.
Unregistered items will NOT be accepted and flea markets are prohibited.

PBeM NEWS:

STEIN SURVIVES TO WIN PRO GOLF: First round leader Peter Stein lived on the
edge to claim his first BPA Green Jacket.  Peter ROLLED ONE DIE! Seven times
during the round, and never once went out of bounds or in the water.  While
five times he flirted with disaster and survived, two of those rolls were
50-50 chances to pitch in for eagles, and he made both rolls, finishing at
10 under par.  This left runner-up Ken Gutermuth one stroke behind.
Rounding out the top six were Scott Nerney, John Coussis, Jeff Finkeldey,
and Bob Hamel.

SENN WINS TZOLKIN: Jon Senn's second half monument building propels him to
win over Moon Sultana despite scoring negative temple points.  Rounding out
the laurelists were Steve LeWinter, David Borton, Eric Freeman, and Jeff
Meyer.  Summary and more information on the tournament can be found at
<https://epworthian.wordpress.com/> https://epworthian.wordpress.com/ .

FOR THE PEOPLE ENTERS SEMIFINALS: The 2016 For the People BPA Tournament has
reached the Final 4. The tournament started with 52 players, and now we are
down to the four finalists, who will play for the title in single
elimination format. They are James Pei, Tim Tow, Nick Pei, and Warren Day.
Check out the details at   http://forthepeople3.weebly.com
<http://forthepeople3.weebly.com/>

POG ENTERS THIRD ROUND: Round 2 has successfully concluded and tournament
results can be found at
http://www.bitterwoods.net/paths-of-glory-bpa-tourney-page/.  The good news
is that we had ZERO adjudications.  There were numerous cases of good
sportsmanship displayed in getting to equitable resolutions to games that
were not going to finish.  The bad news is, of course, there is no rest for
the weary - Round 3 has begun with only 23 still unbeaten participants at
2-0.

Entrance in all BPA Email tournaments is free to current members - including
PBeM members and WBC attendants with multi-day admission.

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe
by visiting  <http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail>