BPA January newsletter
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:23:58 -0800 (PST)
PEI REMAINS CAESAR: James Pei stretched his reign to a record three years by
easily winning BPA’s Top Gamer award for the third consecutive year - besting
two-time Caesar Randy Buehler by 87 laurels for Caesar and 27 laurels for
Consul. The “Master” appeared in the BPA’s Top 25 Gamers list for the tenth
straight year. No other player can make that claim for eight years - let alone
ten. Other top laurelists in 2016 were Nick Henning, Curt Collins, Keith Dent
and Steve LeWinter. Check out the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/history_caesar_2016.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/history_caesar_2016.html>.

HOTEL RESERVATIONS OPEN: On January 15th at 9 AM EST Seven Springs will
commence taking WBC 2017 hotel reservations for stays of five days or longer.
Details are provided at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging_7S.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging_7S.html>. Please note the new
Cancellation Policy calling for forfeiture of deposits BEFORE making your
reservations.

SEVEN SPRINGS VIRTUAL TOUR: We invite those new to our Seven Springs venue to
peruse the facilities via Debbie Gutermuth’s camera at
http://www.boardgamers.org/images/virtualtour/virtualtour.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/images/virtualtour/virtualtour.html>  Even 2016
attendees may pick up some tips on navigating the site by reading the
accompanying captions. Put away your phones and view it on a wide screen in
full screen mode to view the captions and get the most from the tour.

SPORTSMAN AWARD UP FOR GRABS: The third leg of the BPA Triple Crown of Annual
honors is its Sportsmanship Award. The honorarium which includes free lodging
at the next WBC is hotly contested with two candidates neck and neck as we come
down to the final two weeks of voting. If you haven’t voted yet, please check
out the nominees at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/sportmanNominees.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/sportmanNominees.html> and give a deserving
candidate your vote by January 31st while recording your membership with our
lowest rates.

WBC 2017 TRIAL EVENTS ELIGIBILITY UNDERWAY: Our Annual December Membership
Drive continues into its final weeks as our first extended Membership Drive
enters its seventh week. The competition for the 25 Trial slots is closer than
ever with two weeks remaining to determine eligible events for WBC 2017. The
opportunity to vote for new events or continued life for old favorites ends on
January 31st along with your chance to qualify for our lowest membership rates.
Become a member and vote at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml
<http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml>.

DONNA BALKAN: We regret to report that longtime member Donna lost her battle
with cancer on December 3rd.  WBC’s rail events will be a little less bright
this year without her constant smile. Details can be found on our Memorial page
at http://www.boardgamers.org/history_memorials.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/history_memorials.html>.

OPEN GAMING MONITORS: Those interested in earning free lodging for WBC 2017 in
exchange for working as monitors should inquire at CD [at] Boardgamers.org
<mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org> for details.

EVENT CO-ORDINATION: Eric Freeman is again volunteering to co-ordinate 2017
Euro events in an attempt to minimize schedule conflicts. If you'd  like to be
part of this effort, contact freemaneric [at] comcast.net <mailto:freemaneric
[at] comcast.net>.

GM SUPPORT:  If you'd like to help out but don't feel confident enough to run
an event on your own or don't want to make too long a commitment, you could
still be of great assistance. Perhaps you are good at teaching games and would
be willing to run a demonstration for a GM who lacks the time or skills to
teach. If so, contact CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org>
with a list of games you'd be willing to teach and we will pass along the offer
to  a grateful GM. Conversely, if you are a GM who uses a laptop at WBC to run
their event, you should contact Andy Latto at andy.latto [at] pobox.com
<mailto:andy.latto [at] pobox.com>. Andy has developed a spreadsheet that
speeds sign-in, does automatic badge-checking for pre-registrants. calculates
the qualifying/seeding order for semifinalists, including verifying whether a
win is in the first heat entered, and does most of the preparation of the event
report form.

BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to nominate
members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC. To appear
on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least three members;
one of which must be the nominee. Nominations must be signed and received at
BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February 28th to be
eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable,
nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members should consider that the BPA conducts most
of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing to
offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm>.

2016 PATRONS: The official listing of 2016 Sponsors, Charter members and
Tribunes is now available at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/patrons.html
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/patrons.html>.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>

        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>

        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816>

PBeM NEWS:

PRO GOLF TIME: Warm up your dice for the zany Seventh Annual BPA Pro Golf PBeM
tournament to commence, appropriately enough, on April 1st. Check out the
details at http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/Pro_Golf_PBeM.html
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/Pro_Golf_PBeM.html> and enter via email at
bdmonnin [at] nktelco.net <mailto:bdmonnin [at] nktelco.net>.

MARCH MADNESS UNDERWAY: The BPA round ballers got off to a delayed start but
with the draft now behind them, 44 hoopsters have begun destroying brackets led
by those zany Cabbies Jeff Mullet and Bruce Reiff who are already vying to be
the first to qualify for the Sweet 16. Check out the progress at
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2017.htm
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2017.htm>.

POG PROGRESS: The Sixth BPA Paths of Glory PBeM tournament got underway with
over 100 players - making it the largest such tournament to date. GM Tom
Gregorio is backing it with an effort proportional to its size with a great
newsletter and website support. If you are a POG player, you owe it to yourself
to check out the details. Contact Tom at gregorit [at] yahoo.com
<mailto:gregorit [at] yahoo.com>.

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION TO BEGIN: Advanced Civilization in five minutes a day!
Signups are now underway for the 2017 Advanced Civilization PBeM tournament.
Come rule a nation from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. Each entrant will play
two concurrent first round games, advancing eight to the final. Full
information is available at http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/
<http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/>. Please contact the GM at bpa-civ [at]
natemac.com <mailto:bpa-civ [at] natemac.com> prior to February 24th to ENTER.
The games will begin on March 1st.

WAR AT SEA PLAYOFFS: The 11th BPA WAR AT SEA PBeM tournament has concluded five
swiss rounds to admit the top six players to the elimination rounds. Top-ranked
Darren Kilfara was the lone player to emerge from the swiss rounds unbeaten. He
and Ed Menzel received byes while Bob Hamel (4-1) vs Jonathan Lockwood (3-1-1)
and Mike Pacheco (4-1) vs Andy Choptiany (3-1-1) entered the quarterfinals.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.html> page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>. If you are not already receiving our monthly
newsletters, please subscribe by visiting
http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail