BPA September News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
GUTERMUTH NAMED WBC 2017 CD: The BPA Board of Directors has hired Ken Gutermuth
to replace the retiring Don Greenwood as the WBC 2017 Convention Director
effective April 1, 2017. Ken has put in a year as Assistant CD in preparation
for assuming his new duties in what is hoped will be a smooth transition.
Besides his long history of active involvement in the traditions and leadership
of WBC, Ken brings invaluable gains in technology and business acumen to the
position. The organization is expecting continued success under his coming
stewardship.  Ken will be replaced by Andy Lewis as the new Chairman of the
Board and by a new Treasurer to be named before his elevation to President in
April.

BOGUS HOBBY SERVICE AWARD: I should have known there was something rotten in
Denmark (or in this case, Seven Springs) when the votes came back for the 2016
Hobby Service Award showing no winner. Instead, your Board of Directors ignored
the rules against awarding such honorariums to serving Board members and held a
cabal to award it to the retiring CD instead. As a staunch conservative, I
hereby reject their illegal executive order and refuse to write my own eulogy
while thanking them for the gesture and deploring the action. I will, however,
try to pen a last long-winded “Tenth Seat” From the Director’s Chair message
before I step down in seven months for those so inclined to read my take on the
voyages of the good ship WBC these past 18 years.

NEW ERA WBC OFF TO STRONG START: Despite dire predictions that a move 160 miles
west to Seven Springs would cause major defections, the new look WBC got rave
reviews from most quarters thrilled with the improved resources and greater
amenities that greeted them on arrival. Although the overall paid headcount was
down 22% from 2015 totals, attendees arrived earlier and stayed longer in the
nine-day conference that no longer was split between pre-con and WBC week
activities. 25 events drew triple-digit participation - up one from 2015 - as
the average tournament field declined by only .7 player from 59.6 to 58.9 and
14 returning events actually posted their largest fields of the past decade.
152 of the scheduled 154 events achieved tournament status with fields ranging
from a minimum of eight to 288 players for Splendor! This year's champions are
now shown on line at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/champslist.html
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/champslist.html>. A more complete listing of the
top six places, updated laurel totals, photos and anecdotes for every event as
only WBC does them will appear on our website in November.

14 reigning WBC champions successfully defended their titles, led by the
current Caesar, James Pei, who extended his dominance in For The People to
eight straight years to maintain his hold on WBC's longest winning streak.
Perennial 18XX champ Bruce Beard remained Pei’s closest pursuer with his fourth
straight 8XX title. He is followed by four others who won their third straight
tournament: Harry Flawd (Paydirt), William Burch (Ace of Aces), Sweden’s Bjorn
von Knorring (Manoeuvre), and Pei himself (Sekigahara).

On the other side of the title spectrum, 38 claimed their first WBC title (up
one from 2015) while 73 earned their first laurels of any kind to claim genuine
contender status in the years to come. 13 gents managed to win two events each
while two managed to claim three titles: the perennial Caesar duelists Pei (For
the People, Hannibal and Sekigahara) and Nick Henning (Automobile, Galaxy
Trucker, and Vegas Showdown). But all were outshined by newcomer Moon Sultana
who became the first multiple winner (Castles of Burgundy, Tzolk’in) among the
ladies since Rebecca Hebner managed it as a teenager in 2001. The gals, for
their part, outdid themselves in 2016 and obviously found Seven Springs to
their liking - tripling their titles won from 5 to 15!

HARRY B’s REPEAT AS TEAM CHAMPS: The same old ringers won in the same old way
as the top-seeded Harry B’s repeated as Team Tournament champs in 2016 over 69
teams - the smallest field in the past 16 years. At least this time the margin
of victory was slim as they were tied by the Uncivil Servants at 18 points each
- the 16-1 favorite edging the 35-1 runner-up by virtue of a total field
tiebreaker - having bested the Servants by contesting seven more participants.
Actually, only three more players playing War of the Rings would have been
worth a 19th point and victory to the Servants, but this ain’t horseshoes and
close is not good enough. The Servants can take solace (or not) that they were
the only team to score with all four players. Taking third two points back were
The Greenville Mafia’s “I Am Standing Up” team. None of the top three teams
scored a bonus point since each of their players had won their chosen events
previously. More details including a list of the Top 25 teams appears at
http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook2016/teamresults.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook2016/teamresults.html>.

KEVIN YOUELLS IS 2016 TOP PROGNOSTICATOR: Only three of the top 26 rated teams
in the 69-team field made the Top Ten in this year’s team Tournament - making
it a tough year for prognosticators. Among the hardest hit was the Happy
Handicapper himself who could muster only the Harry B’s (duh) in his Top Ten
picks to tie for worst performance in the Bracket Bustin’ contest with but one
correct pick. He had a lot of company in ticket tearing territory with Nest of
Spies nestled at 16th and the usual favorites burning brackets galore. Only one
handicapper managed to get four correct out of ten: Kevin Youells. He (as did
many others) correctly selected the top three teams and then added the 6th
place Think First at 72-1 odds to be the only player with four correct answers.
His 2017 Sustaining membership is thereby duly entered in the books.

2017 WBC RESERVATION POLICY:  The Seven Springs Mountain Resort has announced
prices and policies for the 2017 WBC season which includes an exciting new Week
long Condo rental offer with welcome news for those on a budget. Be sure to
read all of the new details at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging.html> because deposit and cancellation
policies have changed from those in effect in 2016. Condo rentals are now open
on a first come, first served basis for these unique lodging options.

WBC AUCTION RESULTS:  The 2016 version of the WBC Auction sold all 566 lots
that were received, led by a $470 bid for Jake Jacoby’s annual Circus Maximus
miniatures set. Many more details and a complete list of auction sales are
available at http://boardgamers.org/wbc_auction_lotsales.html
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc_auction_lotsales.html>.  Auction Store sales are
NOT listed on line. If you want an accounting of your items individual sale
prices, inquire at Treasurer [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:Treasurer [at]
Boardgamers.org>.

2016 ELECTION RESULTS: The membership returned the three incumbents to another
three-year term. Bruce Reiff, Bruno Sinigaglio and Josh Githens each won
another term over two challengers. Reiff led the voting with 593 votes followed
by Sinigaglio with 518 and Githens with 403. Challengers Marcy Morelli and
Grant LaDue registered 313 and 290 votes respectively from a voting bloc of 282
members. We thank all the candidates for their participation and all members
who took the time to vote. Without sufficient participation by the membership
we are unable to continue our Non-Profit Corporation status.

WBC HONORS: The coming months will unveil our annual awards for Sportsmanship
and GM of the Year but we can’t do them justice without your input. Take a
moment to tell us why someone you encountered should be considered for the
Sportsmanship or GM of the Year Award by emailing us at CD [at] Boardgamers.org
<mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org>.

WBC EVENT REPORTS IN PROGRESS: Event After Action Reports are still being
collected and used to update 154 Event pages for a scheduled November unveiling
- and in an improved format befitting our new website look by hardworking
webmasters Kaarin Engelmann and Max Jamelli. 15 GMs who have yet to fulfill
that part of their obligation are being notified that the clock is ticking and
that prize level and eligibility penalties will apply for those events whose
GMs do not comply. WBC is unique among all gaming conventions for providing not
only this coverage but also archiving such reports for posterity. Check out the
Event history section at http://boardgamers.org/history_wbceventreports.html
<http://boardgamers.org/history_wbceventreports.html> to check the progress of
your favorite event over the past 16 years.

WBC 2017 EVENT SUBMISSIONS: Every WBC is followed by requests to add Game X to
our schedule. If only it were that simple. No event takes place without a
dedicated volunteer GM to run it. No one gets paid to run events at WBC. if you
want Game X, you need to step forward and offer to run it! The internet
frequently gives voice to those who can’t understand why WBC caps the number of
its events. Of course, those folks can’t be found when it comes time to prepare
pre- and post-event web pages, event kiosk, plaque art, and all the other bells
and whistles we lavish on WBC event support. As long as we have more events
than GMs, I’m not very sympathetic to calls for more events. So, unless you are
motivated to lend a hand, we already have all the events we can handle. On the
other hand, if you are such an enlightened individual who wants to contribute
to the unique nature of WBC, start by reading our GM Guidelines at
http://boardgamers.org/gmguide.htm <http://boardgamers.org/gmguide.htm>.  Then,
when our monthly newsletter calls for event submissions submit the event form
cited in that newsletter to get the process started.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>

        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>

        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816>

PBeM NEWS:

SINIGAGLIO WINS 4TH STRAIGHT BITTER WOODS TITLE: The eighth BPA Bitterwoods
PBeM Tournament ended recently after 34 games with Bruno Sinigaglio's Americans
defeating Bill Morse in the six-turn scenario as the last two survivors of the
34-player field vied for the title. In three of those titles, including the
latest, Bruno survived to win against Morse on the last die roll of the game.
Other laurels were claimed by Steve Lapierre, Marty Musella, Michael Kaye and
Daniel Tierney who finished third through sixth respectively. Statistically,
Bill should have won both the earlier contests, as Bruno only had a 16%
probability of victory in each of the final battles. More details plus the
latest laurels totals are posted at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/bwdpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/bwdpge.htm#pbem>.

LATEST WATERLOO TOURNAMENT UNDERWAY: The current Waterloo PBeM tournament is
nearing the end of its first round with 21 players marching to the sound of the
guns. It is single elimination using standard WBC tournament rules and
clarifications including the Prussian/Anglo-Allied noncooperation rule. Details
and game status are available at http://watgame.com/ <http://watgame.com/>.

NEW AFRIKA KORPS PBeM TOURNAMENT TO COMMENCE  SOON: An Afrika Korps email
tournament will start September 18th. 25 players have already entered and
invite your added participation. Please let GM Ed Menzel know if you would like
to play at edmenzel [at] roadrunner.com <mailto:edmenzel [at] roadrunner.com>.
This is a single elimination tournament using standard WBC rules and three
month rounds. Players will be matched based on AREA rating with the top half
matched against the bottom half. All results will be submitted for AREA rating.
See http://afk-game.com/ <http://afk-game.com/> for details.

THIRD TZOLK’IN PBEM TOURNAMENT STARTING: A third season for the dynamic worker
placement game (loosely) based on the Mayan calendar is in the offing. This
tournament will be played on the boiteajeux.net <http://boiteajeux.net/> game
portal and all participants will get the chance to play six games in the
preliminary rounds (roughly between October and March) with the top eight
advancing to semifinals. Visit
http://epworthian.wordpress.com/tournament-format/
<http://epworthian.wordpress.com/tournament-format/> to view the tournament
format, and email Rob Flowers at epworthian1 [at] gmail.com <mailto:epworthian1
[at] gmail.com> by October 23 to enter for an October 30th start.

SEVENTH PATHS OF GLORY CAMPAIGN TO OPEN OCTOBER 1ST: Be bold, fellow gamers!
Join the 64 stout lads worldwide who have already enlisted in the 7th iteration
of the BPA PBeM Paths of Glory Tournament.  The time-proven WBC Historical
Scenario will be used.  BPA members of all skill and experience levels are
welcome.  A new double elimination format will be used so that all combatants
will get a minimum of two chances to progress to laurel glory.  All with stout
hearts and willing hands should drop GM Tom Gregorio <mailto:gregorit [at]
yahoo.com> a note by Monday September 26th.  Hostilities will commence on
Saturday, October 1st.  The POG tourney page has all the details at
http://www.bitterwoods.net/paths-of-glory-bpa-tourney-page/
<http://www.bitterwoods.net/paths-of-glory-bpa-tourney-page/>.

FIFTH ADVANCED CIVILIZATION TOURNAMENT NEARING EXCITING END: As trading
continues in Turn 14, Nils Brokkbak's Africa enjoys a razor thin 4-point lead
over Dan Morris and his Iberians. However, four other players including
three-time reigning PBeM champion Mads Lunau trail by less than one hundred
points, so the title is still very much up for grabs. Will this be the year
that Lunau gets dethroned? Or will he make it three straight? We should know in
a few more turns. Stay tuned.

FIFTH FOR THE PEOPLE PBeM TOURNAMENT SCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER 1st START: E-mail GM
Michael Day at MDay20 [at] Cox.net <mailto:MDay20 [at] Cox.net>. You will be
randomly assigned to two concurrent games as both The North and the South.
There will be four games played Swiss Format with the eight best records
advancing to Single Elimination rounds.  Visit the website below for additional
information: http://forthepeople3.weebly.com/ <http://forthepeople3.weebly.com/>

FOURTH DIPLOMACY PBEM TOURNAMENT SLATED FOR DECEMBER 1st START: Entry for the
2017 BPA Diplomacy Tournament ends December 1st. E-mail GM Michael Day at
DiplomacyDayM [at] cox.net <mailto:DiplomacyDayM [at] cox.net> to join.  You
will be randomly assigned to three concurrent games. Visit the website below
for additional information: http://diplomacywwi.weebly.com/
<http://diplomacywwi.weebly.com/>

FIFTH WILDERNESS WAR PBeM TOURNAMENT STARTING OCTOBER 28th: The 5th PBeM
Tournament for Wilderness War will begin on or about October 28. All games will
be played via ACTS and the tournament should take 18-24 months to complete. The
format will be Swiss Elim with four preliminary Swiss rounds to advance eight
players to elimination rounds. The details can be found at
http://wildernesswar2016.weebly.com/ <http://wildernesswar2016.weebly.com/>. If
you wish to play, please send an email to the GM: keithwixson [at]
paulhastings.com <mailto:keithwixson [at] paulhastings.com>.

NAPOLEONIC WARS TO COMMENCE NOVEMBER 1st: The second Napoleonic Wars PBeM
tournament is scheduled for a November start. Games will be of the 3-player
variety with all players assigned three consecutive swiss games. The top nine
players will advance to elimination rounds. See the details at
http://tnwars.weebly.com <http://tnwars.weebly.com/> and mail the GM at TNW3
[at] Cox.net <mailto:TNW3 [at] Cox.net> to enter.

BIRNBAUM WINS 13th MARCH MADNESS PBeM TITLE: A record field of 49 players
contested the 13th running of the BPA March Madness PBeM tournament. 97 games
later we had our 11th different champion, as Marvin Birnbaum became the fifth
player to achieve the WBC/PBeM championship double. Also scoring laurels were
Bob Hamel, Chris Bauch, Nicole Reiff and Jeff Martin who finished third through
sixth respectively. Marvin survived six rounds with his 1956 San Francisco team
to earn the championship plaque, after finishing in the runner-up position last
year. His average winning score was 80-68, a 12-point margin of victory. More
details and updated laurel totals are available at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/mmspge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/mmspge.htm#pbem>.

KIZER WINS 7th PRO GOLF PBeM TITLE: Chris Kizer won his first BPA tournament
ever over a field of 44 duffers in the annual dice fest that precedes WBC for
those who just can’t get enough wristage practice. 92 rounds proved
insufficient to determine a champion when a late surge by Michael Pacheco
necessitated a playoff that lasted six additional holes before Chris dropped a
three-foot birdie putt to win the hole and the title by two strokes. Also
earning laurels were Scott Nerney, defending champ Debbie Gutermuth, Rob
Kircher and Marshall Collins who finished third through sixth respectively.
More details and updated laurel totals can be found at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/pgfpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook16/pgfpge.htm#pbem>.

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC PROGRESS:  Of those playing, the top two seeds advance
to Round 4 with a USN and an IJN victory while the bottom two seeds both
advance with Allied wins.  Ted Drozd moves on with a bye, giving Joe Dragan
(the third highest seed remaining) a bye into the lone semifinal game.  The USN
continues the dominance exerted in the last round -- with a total score of 9-3
in the advanced rounds.  Tim Tow went all out in an unadjusted game to take the
IJN with a bid of 9.5 but didn't score the early attrition against Michael Day
(our top seed) to make that bid viable -- and ended up surrendering before the
big US reinforcements arrived.  In fact, three of the four games ended on Turn
5 with only one reaching Turn 7. Congratulations to Scott Beall and Wayne
Bonnett -- our 14th and 20th seeds respectively -- for advancing as well!
Check out all the action at
http://gameaholics.com/vitp_bpa/vitp_bpa_single_elim_15.htm
<http://gameaholics.com/vitp_bpa/vitp_bpa_single_elim_15.htm>.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page <http://boardgamers.org/bpaterms.htm> for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail