BPA January News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 06:52:09 -0800 (PST)
JUSTIN RICE IS 2015 SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR: The BPA membership has elected
Justin Rice as its 2015 Sportsmanship winner in the heaviest voting yet as 381
members cast votes for 15 candidates. Justin collected no less than 21% of
those votes for being nominated in the Here I Stand event. As the first
alternate for the Final, he was offered a seat by first-time qualifiers Ed and
Matt Beach. At least one of the father and son duo was needed to GM their
Junior event that conflicted with the Final. Justin, however, insisted that
they BOTH play and instead volunteered to run the Junior event himself to
enable them to do so. Both events went off without a hitch and with a record
number of junior participants putting Justin to the test as he earned his free
lodging prize at the next WBC.

Other nominees drawing lots of support included Andy Lewis, Gordon Stewart,
Gregory Schmittgens, Peter Staab, Gregory Smith, Fred Bauer and Mark Love. As
always, it was a classy group and we salute all our nominees for being the real
attraction in our annual reunion. For more details see
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/sportman.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/sportman.htm>.

WBC 2016 TRIAL EVENTS NAMED: Our Annual December Membership Drive ended as the
most successful to date, having broken out previous early enrollment record by
a hefty 9%. Those members have spoken, returning 24 old favorites to another
slot in our Tournament offerings for 2016 while admitting only one new event
for its WBC debut: 7 Wonders Duel.  More details including the complete voting
breakdown are provided at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/trialvote.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/trialvote.htm>.

2016 EVENT LINEUP: The initial lineup of eligible events for the 2016 Century
and 25 Continuing Trial events has been updated at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/orphans.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/orphans.htm>. It is now closed to all but
Vendor and Sponsor supported entries. However, event forms
<http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php> for additional events
seeking Alternate status to fill any vacancies and/or troll for Sponsor support
will still be accepted until March 15th. Those will be important given an
expected greater GM shortage than in past years.

RESERVATIONS UPDATE: On February 1st we enter the second phase of our
reservation policy in which stays of four or more days will be accepted. The
hotel virtually sold out although cancellations occur as earlier reservations
are converted to condominiums and chalets. We urge those who have booked extra
rooms on speculation to cancel those rooms as early as possible so as not to
deprive others of lodging opportunities. We are strongly contemplating a future
no-cancellation policy in an attempt to end such speculative holds in the
future.  Call 1-866-437-1300 to ask to be put on a callback list or discuss a
condo/chalet rental. The latter offer the advantages of full kitchens, living
areas and complimentary 24-hour shuttle service to the Convention Center and
are recommended for groups of 4 or more.

We are pleased to announce that both hotel and condo reservations in the
neighboring property of Hidden Valley will be offered at a special discounted
rate as overflow housing through the same 7 Springs reservation system. Since
these are outside shuttle service range, they are not recommended for those
without car access.

CHILDCARE/CAMPS UPDATE: Due to insufficient expression of interest by the
membership to date we will not be offering special access to 7 Springs Summer
day camps for children or daycare services. Please direct your inquiries to the
7 Springs website once they post their summer schedule to determine if these
services will be offered by the hotel on an individual basis. We will revisit
the subject once 7 Springs develops a group history of the demand for these
services.

OPEN GAMING MONITORS: Those interested in scoring free lodging at 7 Springs in
exchange for working as monitors should inquire at CD [at] Boardgamers.org
<mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org> for details.

GM COMMITMENTS: GMs are reminded to make their memberships current AND submit
an event form by March 15th. At that time, qualifying events without a
satisfactory GM claim will be replaced by those events from the Alternate list
for which we have a satisfactory event form on file with a current GM
commitment. You can now claim any qualifying OPEN event by completing the
required event form at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php
<http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php> after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing happens at WBC
without a willing GM behind it.

And yes, I'm a stickler for following rules. Over the years I've found it
challenging to get universal compliance with the convention's policies without
reminding GMs of their responsibilities. Just assuming GMs will follow through
each year as they did previously without reminding them of what is expected
leads to mistaken assumptions that can be difficult - if not impossible - to
rectify at the last minute. So, bear with me please ...

Submitting an event form annually is necessary because:

• It relieves me of the burden of assuming - often incorrectly - that nothing
has changed.

• It reminds GMs of their obligations and hopefully gets them to think about
their event in the offseason before it happens - hopefully causing an
improvement or two in the process.

• It firms up deadlines - which makes the considerable effort we undertake to
support our events a LOT more efficient.

• And to cynics like myself - yes, it constitutes a hoop for GMs to jump
through to demonstrate their continued sincerity. It's not much of a
qualification, but like the requirement to pay one's membership fee in advance,
over the years it has demonstrably generated a significantly more reliable core
of GMs. If taking the time to complete a form is too much to ask, then perhaps
you're not the best GM choice. WBC prides itself on its volunteer's
performance. We DO require more from GMs than is the norm elsewhere - and we
believe there is a cause and effect relationship as a consequence. We draw
gamers from across the nation and the world for our unique brand of tournament
emphasis. That comes with a certain responsibility to do our best not to
disappoint them. So, thanks again for putting up with my efforts at quality
control.

Please, for a whole host of other reasons, it is better for all concerned to
make your GM commitment sooner rather than later.

EVENT CO-ORDINATION: Eric Freeman is again volunteering to co-ordinate 2016
Euro events in an attempt to minimize schedule conflicts. If you'd  like to be
part of this effort, contact freemaneric [at] comcast.net <mailto:freemaneric
[at] comcast.net>.

GM SUPPORT:  If you'd like to help out but don't feel confident enough to run
an event on your own or don't want to make too long a commitment, you could
still be of great assistance. Perhaps you are good at teaching games and would
be willing to run a demonstration for a GM who lacks the time or skills to
teach. If so, contact CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org>
with a list of games you'd be willing to teach and we will pass along the offer
to  a grateful GM. Conversely, if you are a GM who uses a laptop at WBC to run
their event, you should contact Andy Latto at andy.latto [at] pobox.com
<mailto:andy.latto [at] pobox.com>. Andy has developed a spreadsheet that
speeds sign-in, does automatic badge-checking for pre-registrants. calculates
the qualifying/seeding order for semifinalists, including verifying whether a
win is in the first heat entered, and does most of the preparation of the event
report form.

BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to nominate
members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC. To appear
on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least three members;
one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be signed and received
at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February 28th to be
eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable,
nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members should consider that the BPA conducts most
of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing to
offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm>.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>

        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>

        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816>

PBeM NEWS:

ANDRIAKOS WINS BREAKOUT NORMANDY #9: Stephen Andriakos has won the 9th
rendition of the Breakout: Normandy PBeM Tournament. He showed that he could
win from both sides of the table: three victories as the Germans and two as the
Allies. In the Final Stephen’s Germans secured the so-called "Magic Bridge” to
St Mere Eglise after the runner-up, Dan Leader, opened with a four-bridge
opening with his paratroopers on D-Day. Another turning point was reached on
June 9, when the Germans counterattacked into Caen and threw the Allies out
with a +1 die roll. From there it was all downhill for the Germans and Steve’s
first BKN title.  Revised laurel totals are now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/bknpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/bknpge.htm#pbem>.

The next BKN tournament will begin shortly using the L2 rules exclusively, in
conformity with the WBC tournament. For a more comprehensive summary of the
game, a list of the first six places, and the tournament rules, see
https://sites.google.com/site/breakoutnormandytournament/home-page
<https://sites.google.com/site/breakoutnormandytournament/home-page>.

WAR AT SEA #11: The 11th BPA War At Sea PBeM tournament begins on February 1st
with entries due by January 23rd. Details for the Single Elimination event can
be found at http://jaketke.wix.com/bpawaratsea
<http://jaketke.wix.com/bpawaratsea>. Enter by contacting Bob Jamelli at
jaketke [at] ptd.net <mailto:jaketke [at] ptd.net>.

TWILIGHT STRUGGLE BEGINS: The second BPA PBeM tournament commenced on December
15th. The format is SwissElim with the number of rounds dependent on the number
of entries. Late entries are still being accepted until January 15th but due to
your late start you will be expected to play fast to end the first round on
time. Enter by posting a comment with your ACTS ID at
https://twilightstruggletourney.wordpress.com/201516tournament/
<https://twilightstruggletourney.wordpress.com/201516tournament/>

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC PROGRESS: The first round featured only two upsets -
making Wayne Bonnett and Michael Sosa the Dark Horse candidates for this
tournament.  The Japanese Navy went 12-5 against the Allied Fleets at the same
time.  Both upsets featured USN wins.  So the highest seed bid for and took the
IJN 14 out of 17 matches with bids ranging from 2.5-7.5.  The highest seeds who
won with the USN, Ted Drozd (#2), Vince Meconi (#5), and Tim Tow (#11) took
bids of 5-6 from their opponents.  Among those using options considered to
balance (or nearly balance) the game (the Menzel, Normal Turn One, and Open
Turn Two scenarios) saw the IJN prevail only 2-1  Two of those had zero bids.
Perhaps we'll see more such scenarios as higher and higher seeds find
themselves taking the USN?  See all the action and details as the new round
gets underway at http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm
<http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm>!

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
<http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.htm> page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>. If you are not already receiving our monthly
newsletters, please subscribe by visiting
http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail