BPA December 2015 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 03:26:39 -0800 (PST)
GM OF THE YEAR: WBC attracts many Canadians each year and they return north
with their fair share of wooden souvenirs as proof of their gaming prowess. But
2015 proved to be the first year one showed us how to run an event so well that
he carried our GM of the Year award north of the border - and in his rookie
year to boot! Duncan McGregor is a recent convert to our annual madness and
enjoyed it so much, he decided to roll up his sleeves and get involved by
running an event. It was his new event submission for Splendor which got it on
the ballot - resulting in its inclusion as the seventh highest polling Trial
event in the 2015 Membership Drive survey. Although prepared with a method to
randomize tables, not even Duncan was prepared for the popularity of his new
event - which drew an amazing 272 entrants over the course of three heats and
generated 165 games. Fortunately, Duncan was admirably supported by his
northern AGM cohorts as fellow Canadians Andrew Drummond and Sara VanderWal
pitched in to help forge order out of chaos. More details are listed at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/topgm.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/topgm.htm>.

2015 AFTER ACTION REPORTS POSTED: The WBC 2015 Event After Action Report pages
complete with the latest Laurel counts and photos as only WBC provides them are
now available at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook15/
<http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook15/>.  Peruse them to recall last summer's
fun or see what you missed before deciding what events to support with your
votes when renewing your 2016 membership.

DECEMBER MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: The Annual BPA Membership Drive when we offer our
lowest rates and free premiums is now underway. Your participation in the Trial
event selection vote is an important part of the process so please remember to
vote when renewing your membership. If you have already joined for 2016, please
take a moment to participate in the Trial Event and Sportsmanship votes by
emailing CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org> with your
choices. The Membership Drive commences December 1st and lasts one month -
after which it will be too late to vote or get the least expensive WBC
admission rates. However, we remind everyone that rates and premiums have
changed substantially (see http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/wbcpricing16.html
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc16/wbcpricing16.html> for details). In
particular, early memberships no longer earn free yearbooks, t-shirts/hats
except at the Tribune/Sponsor level. Join now by completing the membership form
at: http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml
<http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml>.

2016 CENTURY: Eleven events won Century status for the coming year (Castles of
Mad King Ludwig, Concordia, Evolution, Fire in the Lake, Five Tribes, Legends
of Waterdeep, Russian Railroads, Santa Fe Rails, Splendor, Star Wars Miniatures
and Wellington). Ten were demoted and now need a sponsor or membership support
in the Trial vote to be eligible for a return in 2016 (Age of Renaissance,
Gangsters, Hammer of the Scots, Julius Caesar, Le Havre, Panzerblitz, Paydirt,
Queen’s Gambit, Small World and Warriors of God). An 11th casualty was spared
the requirement of a rescue by Board vote granting Legacy status to Superstar
Baseball - the tenth such exemption thus far granted - expanding Century status
to 110 events. You can view the currently eligible Century group and Trial
ballot candidates at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/orphans.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/orphans.htm>.

2015 SPORTSMANSHIP NOMINEES: The candidates for this year's Sportsman of the
Year are listed at http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/sportmannominees.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc16/sportmannominees.htm>. Peruse them and cast a
vote for your pick when renewing your membership. Help us reward great
sportsmanship with a free room by electing a truly deserving winner.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>

        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>

        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816>

PBeM NEWS:

TWILIGHT STRUGGLE TO BEGIN: A BPA PBeM tournament will commence on December
15th. The format will be SwissElim with the number of rounds dependent on the
number of entries. Enter by posting a comment with your ACTS ID at
https://twilightstruggletourney.wordpress.com/201516tournament/
<https://twilightstruggletourney.wordpress.com/201516tournament/>

MARCH MADNESS STARTS DECEMBER 14th: The 13th Annual BPA March Madness PBeM
tournament commences its draft on December 14th. All players receive two teams,
so are guaranteed at least two games.  The format is single elimination until a
champion is crowned, usually in late spring. If you have played March Madness
before but are worried about using ACTS to play the game through email, Harry
Flawd and Mark Yoshikawa are standing by ready to show you how easily it can be
done.   After all, if Debbie Gutermuth could win last year, anyone can win this
tournament. [Ladies, send your opinions directly to Bruce Monnin.] Check it all
out at: http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mms_home_page.html
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mms_home_page.html>. To enter, email bdmonnin
[at] nktelco.net <mailto:bdmonnin [at] nktelco.net> before December 14th.

GCACW UPDATE: After two years of fighting it out over the electronic
battlefields, the 2013 GCACW PBeM tournament has entered the final round.
Congratulations to Patrick Pence and Bruno Passacantando for reaching the top
of a 32-player field and earning the right to play for the championship.
Bruno's Rebs are taking on Patrick's yanks in From the Rappahannock to Bull
Run, a scenario from Stonewall Jackson's Way II. Bruno is a longtime GCACW
player and past WBC champion, while Patrick burst onto the PBeM scene within
the last ten years and quickly rose to the top of the ranks. We hope they enjoy
the final match.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail