BPA August 2015 Newsletter
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 07:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
STAKENAS WINS HOBBY SERVICE AWARD: 25 Years after he spoke at the initial
Avaloncon meeting offering to run a Junior’s event for the new convention, Ray
Stakenas is still at it … having completed his 25th consecutive tour in the
Avaloncon/WBC Juniors room. 25 years of service at anything is nothing to
sneeze at, let alone herding rug rats, so the BPA Board of Directors decided it
was high time we recognized that effort by naming Ray our 16th recipient of the
BPA’s Hobby Service Award. Check out the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/service.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/service.htm>.

WBC 2015 LANCASTER SWAN SONG: Our tenth, and perhaps last, year in Lancaster
set another attendance record despite, or perhaps due to, all the attendant
gnashing of teeth over the coming venue change. Each year of our decade in
Dutch Country saw small attendance gains despite infrastructure challenges and
2015 was no exception. In all, players from over 50 states and Canadian
provinces plus a record 23 nations attended in 2015. 24 events again drew
triple-digit participation - but ten more were knocking on the door with 90 -
99 entrants. All of the scheduled 164 events achieved tournament status with
fields ranging from a minimum of eight to 302 players for Ticket to Ride! This
year's champions are now listed on line at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/champs.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/champs.htm>. A more complete listing of the top
six places, updated laurel totals, photos and anecdotes for every event as only
WBC does them will appear on our website in November.

18 reigning WBC champions successfully defended their titles, led by the
Master, James Pei, who extended his dominance in For The People to seven
straight years to maintain his hold on WBC's longest current winning streak.
Curt Collins II lost his status as his closest pursuer when he failed to win
his fifth consecutive Union Pacific title  - finishing third. Peter Gurneau
(Combat Commander) and Eric Wrobel (Merchant of Venus) also fell off the pace,
failing to win their fourth consecutive title in their respective specialties.
Perennial 18XX champ Bruce Beard thus became Pei’s closest pursuer with his
third straight 8XX title.

On the other side of the title spectrum, 37 claimed their first WBC title of
any kind. 110 players earned their first laurels to claim genuine contender
bonafides in the years to come. 14 gents managed to win two events each while
two managed to claim three titles: Ewan McNay (Britannia, Ingenious and Robo
Rally) and Richard Boyes (Race For the Galaxy, Roll For the Galaxy, and Small
World).

2016 WBC VENUE CHANGE OFF TO ROUSING START:  The Seven Springs Mountain Resort
began accepting WBC 2016 reservations shortly after WBC 2015 ended and did a
whirlwind business - filling 79% of our room block in less than two weeks - and
topping our previous room reservation total in the host hotel by nearly 60% in
the process. This bodes well for an outstanding start in our new venue.  Make
your reservations for 2016 at http://boardgamers.org/hotel7springs.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/hotel7springs.htm> to enjoy our Group Code discount and
rebates.

WBC CONVENTION DIRECTOR OPENING: Don Greenwood announced at the recent BPA
Annual Meeting that he would be hanging up his CD hat following the transition
year of 2016. Seven Springs will be his 26th consecutive year at the helm of
this enterprise and he will be passing the torch sometime in the coming year
following WBC 2016. The BPA Board of Directors will be hiring a new CD in the
months ahead. Those who wish to be considered for the job should send their
resume and a cover letter expressing their qualifications and vision for the
job along with their salary requirements to CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD
[at] Boardgamers.org> no later than September 15th, 2015.

FROM THE DIRECTOR’S CHAIR: The fifth installment of Don’s infrequent outreach
to the membership  is now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/directorschair/changingvenues1.html
<http://boardgamers.org/directorschair/changingvenues1.html>. Those not
interested in the thinking behind the current venue change decisions need not
bother, but for those who want to see "how the sausage is made” and catch a
glimpse of the decision making process that led to the Seven Springs decision,
it is a must read. Much of what you read on the internet is subjective opinion
and full of errors that pass for fact when they are not directly refuted. You
may not agree with the decisions we made, but the facts are borne of actual
research and decades of experience with the subject. It is, if nothing else,
our side of the story - told once - and we’re sticking to it.

WBC AUCTION RESULTS:  The 2015 version of the WBC Auction sold all 604 lots led
by a record $560 bid for Jake Jacoby’s annual Circus Maximus miniature’s set.
Many more details and a complete list of auction sales are available at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/auctionsales.htm.
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/auctionsales.htm> Auction Store sales are NOT
listed on line. If you want an accounting of your items individual sale prices,
inquire at Treasurer [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:Treasurer [at]
Boardgamers.org>.

2015 ELECTION RESULTS: The membership returned three incumbents to another
three-year term, albeit in the most closely contested election yet. Don
Greenwood, Andy Lewis and Ken Whitesell won another term despite strong
challenges from Tom McCorry, Chris Yaure and Joel Tamburo.The results were
announced at the BPA Annual Meeting but the Vote totals and links to officer
profiles can be found at http://www.boardgamers.org/board/electionresult.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/board/electionresult.htm>.  We thank all the
candidates for their participation and all members who took the time to vote.
Without sufficient participation by the membership we are unable to continue
our Non-Profit Corporation status.

WBC HONORS: The coming months will unveil our annual awards for Sportsmanship
and GM of the Year but we can’t do them justice without your input. Take a
moment to tell us why someone you encountered should be considered for the
Sportsmanship or GM of the Year Award by emailing us at CD [at] Boardgamers.org
<mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org>.

WBC EVENT REPORTS IN PROGRESS: Event After Action Reports are still being
collected and used to update 164 Event pages on our website for a scheduled
November unveiling. Those GMs who have yet to fulfill that part of their
obligation will be notified that the clock is ticking and that prize level and
eligibility penalties will apply for those events whose GMs do not comply. WBC
is unique among all gaming conventions for providing not only this coverage but
also archiving such reports for posterity. Check out the BPA Archives section
at http://boardgamers.org/#archives <http://boardgamers.org/#archives> to check
the progress of your favorite event over the past 15 years.

WBC 2016 EVENT SUBMISSIONS: After every WBC we get requests to add Game X to
the events we offer. If only it were that simple. No event takes place without
a dedicated volunteer GM to run it. No one gets paid to run events at WBC. if
you want Game X, you need to step forward and offer to run it! The internet
gives voice to those who can’t understand why WBC caps the number of its
events. Of course, those folks can’t be found when it comes time to prepare
pre- and post-event web pages, event kiosk, plaque art, and all the other bells
and whistles we lavish on WBC event support. As long as we have more events
than GMs, I’m not very sympathetic to calls for more events. So, unless you get
motivated to lend a hand, we already have all the events we can handle. On the
other hand, if you are such an enlightened individual who wants to contribute
to the unique nature of WBC, start by reading our GM Guidelines at
http://boardgamers.org/gmguide.htm <http://boardgamers.org/gmguide.htm>  Then,
when our monthly newsletter calls for event submissions submit the event form
cited in that newsletter to get the process started. Our current event form is
undergoing changes for the new 2016 venue so wait until we call for
submissions, please.

KUDOS: Many thanks to all who leant a hand during our decade in Lancaster. The
tireless efforts of our GMs goes without saying, but beyond those are the few
who pitched in and helped with the less glorious jobs when needed to make all
this happen. I won’t name them for fear of leaving someone out, but  two recent
ones come to mind whose efforts simply must be acknowledged. Keith Levy
performed miracles in supervising the library inventory, packing and hand
transport of games to Lampeter Hall. His crew of volunteers - you know who you
were - worked through the wee hours to get the library squared away, and Harry
Flawd then prepared it for shipment to Seven Springs. We simply couldn’t have
done it without you.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>

        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>

        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816>

PBeM NEWS:

DROZD WINS GETTYSBURG: The 4th BPA Gettysburg PBeM tournament has concluded
with Ted Drozd triumphant over Jim Tracy in the Final. Jim took the South for a
5.0 bid.  Both players agreed that one-sided dice led to an early North
victory.  The Confederates attacked on their opening turn and suffered a double
loss, and matters did not improve from that point forward.  The Union was able
to hold McPherson’s Woods all throughout July 1.  Thus, the Confederates were
never able to unite the two wings of the Army of Northern Virginia, and the
Union was able to defeat Ewell’s II Corps in detail.  With little hope of
victory, the Rebels surrendered on Turn 7.

To get to the Final, Ted had won three contests as the Union and one as the
Confederates, while Jim had won three straight as the Rebels.  In one
semifinal, Jim, taking the Grey for a 5.0 bid, bested #26 Andy Choptiany, the
lowest seed remaining and already the Rookie of the Year for his top play in
this event.  In the other semifinal, Ted dethroned defending champ and #1 seed
Mike Pacheco, who had bid 1.0 for the South.  3rd through 6th place finishers
were therefore 3, Mike Pacheco, 4, Andy Choptiany, 5, Dan Overland, and 6,
Allen Kaplan.

The Union dominated play in Rounds 1-2 with 13 wins in 20 tries, and ultimately
won 15 of the 27 contests.  There was one bid for the Federals, 22 for the
Rebels, and four games with no bid.  Those bids were in a fairly narrow range,
1.0 to 5.0.  The average bid was 3.43 for the South for the 22 games featuring
such a bid.  Updated laurel totals can be found at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/gbgpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/gbgpge.htm#pbem>.

TRIMMER TAKES ADEL VERPFLICHTET PBeM:  Aran Warszawski sprinted out to what
seemed an unstoppable lead almost as soon as the championship match began.  But
in the final 4/2, 2/1, and 5/3 spaces, he paused just long enough to cycle
thieves through the jail and for Chris Trimmer to catch up and go two spaces
beyond Aran’s finish for the win.  In a pattern reminiscent of last year, Chris
qualified for the final with the best second place in the semifinals (edging
out sixth place, Bob Hamel).  Earlier Chris qualified for the semifinals on the
strength of four second place finishes in the preliminaries.  That’s close
enough for hand grenades, horseshoes, nuclear war, and Adel Verpflichtet!
Trailing just behind, but not able to overcome Aran’s lead, were Haakon Monsen,
Greg Thatcher, and Derek Landel.  See all the details at
http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_tournament.htm
<http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_tournament.htm>! and check out the updated
Laurels list at http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/advpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/advpge.htm#pbem>.

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC PBeM:  Come one and come all!  Admirals of the Cardboard
Pacific are invited to join the Victory in the Pacific PBEM Single-Elimination
tournament scheduled for a September 15th start.  Can you stem the Imperial
Japanese Onslaught?  Can you bring the fleet back from losses at Pearl Harbor
to overcome?  Or will the rising sun creep over wave and island to dominate the
Pacific?  Please check out the format at
http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_format/vitp_bpa_format.htm
<http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_format/vitp_bpa_format.htm> and join by
emailing john [at] gameaholics.com <mailto:john [at] gameaholics.com>!  You can
check out current and past action as well as sample games at
http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm
<http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm>!

TZOLK'IN STARTS IN OCTOBER:  The Second BPA PBeM tournament for the dynamic
worker placement game (loosely) based on the Mayan calendar will be played on
the boiteajeux.net <http://boiteajeux.net/> game portal and all participants
will get the chance to play six games in the preliminary rounds (roughly
between October and March) with the top eight players advancing to the
semifinals.  Visit https://epworthian.wordpress.com/tournament-format/
<https://epworthian.wordpress.com/tournament-format/> to view the tournament
format, and email Rob Flowers at rpf1 [at] mindspring.com <mailto:rpf1 [at]
mindspring.com> by October 18 to enter.

PBeM LAURELS UPDATED: Last month’s reported PBeM tournament finishes for March
Madness, Pro Golf and Tzolkin were announced without the usual Event page
updates due to the press of WBC commitments. You can now find those reports and
their updated laurel totals at:

http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/mmspge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/mmspge.htm#pbem>

http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/pgfpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/pgfpge.htm#pbem>

http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/tzkpge.htm#pbem
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/tzkpge.htm#pbem>

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail