BPA July News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 03:10:58 -0700 (PDT)
WBC PRE-REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS HAVE ENDED: WBC's Pre-Registration set another
record with over 1300 attendee commitments for our farewell to Lancaster.  We
will continue to process registrations at the walk-in rate of $40 for the first
day and $10 for each additional day for those who wish to speed the
registration process or need to enroll in the team tournament. Use the page at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc/prereg.htm <http://boardgamers.org/wbc/prereg.htm>
to check the status of your registration, troll for teammates, rides or
roommates, or even Open Gaming matches or babysitting gigs.

Note: If you are in the habit of showing up at the door and requesting extra
days on your badge, be advised that higher walk-on rates will apply. Increased
door rates are imposed to encourage pre-registration and avoid badge reprints
which slow the registration process for yourself and others. So, if you want to
upgrade your membership to include pre-cons, do so before you arrive. If we
must reprint your badge it will cost extra. We will honor the lowest prices for
upgrades of Sustaining memberships to Tribune memberships, but only if received
by July 24th.

TEAM TOURNAMENT: Longtime track sage, Stuart Tucker has set the initial odds
and offered “investment” advice to bracket managers.  Can you beat the
Handicapper this year? 55 teams are already headed to the starting gate at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/teams.htm <http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/teams.htm>
for the 25th annual run for the slivers. Get your team entered and then study
the racing form for our annual Bracket Busting contest. Don't procrastinate!
Enter your team now by sending an email to CD [at] boardgamers.org <mailto:CD
[at] boardgamers.org>.

WBC PRIMER: All WBC pre-registrants will be sent a special email one week
before the convention. Watch for it since it will include among other tips how
to enter the Team Tournament Bracket Busting contest once the final odds are
set, plus other convention advice.

WBC PROGRAM ON LINE: A colorized version of the 2015 program containing the
complete alphabetical  and chronological schedule will soon be posted on line.
Unlike the black & white print version distributed at WBC, the various
categories of events are color coded as an aid to quick recognition and is
definitely worth downloading and printing for the easiest reference.  It can be
found at http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/schedule.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/schedule.htm>.  View the details of your favorite
events and then plan your schedule using Steve Okonski's Personal Scheduler at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/sviewer/
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/sviewer/>. You can also find additional
scheduling aids on line  for the ultimate in planning your week at WBC
including apps for android, i-pad, Kindle and i-phones plus an icalendar
scheduling tool. Remember to download the latest updated versions of these apps
to get the best results.

2014-2015 YEARBOOK: The most recent version of the WBC Yearbook is posted
online for download at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook14/print/
<http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook14/print/>. Qualifying members who renewed
their Sustaining or Tribune memberships by the required deadline and who were
not mailed a copy may pick up theirs at WBC registration in New Holland. A
limited number of additional copies will be available for sale on site for $10.

AUCTION CLOSED: The Auction again sold out in record time this year. Those
contemplating selling items now need to wait till next year or avail themselves
of the Auction Store. All Auction Store items must be pre-registered by July
19th. Unregistered items will NOT be accepted. Get the details at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/auctionstore.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/auctionstore.htm>.

LIBRARY INVENTORY UPDATE: Donations of new games are again pouring into the BPA
Game Library sponsored by Alliance Distributors and Marbles; The Brain Store.
The center piece of the Lancaster Showroom's 13,000 sq. ft Open Gaming Dinner
Theatre made over 2200 recorded game loans last time and an even bigger
assortment  of the latest games is expected in 2014. See the continually
updated 2015 inventory as it grows ever larger at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/library.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/library.htm> with contributions from Rio Grande
Games, Victory Point Games, Blue Orange Games, Elfinwerks, Gale Force Nine,
Numbskull Games, Out-of-the Box Publishing, Marbles; the Brain Store and
Alliance Distributors among others.

OPEN GAMING EXPANDS: The Showroom's 13,000 sq. ft tiered Open Gaming location
remains the focal point of the convention and will be supplemented by the even
larger Expo Center during peak days, Wednesday thru Saturday.  While the Expo
Center is without library services and rectangular tables, it will not be
subject to parking tickets and may be a better choice for games with long setup
times whose players need to take occasional breaks. However, unattended games
remain so at your own risk. Note once again that there is no Open Gaming during
the Pre-Cons. More details are available at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/opengaming.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/opengaming.htm>. An Open Gaming list is now up on
Boardgamegeek at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175874/wbc-2014-open-gaming
<http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175874/wbc-2014-open-gaming>. Check the
World Boardgaming Championships Group on Facebook
(https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/>), WBC BoardgameGeek Forum
(http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>), BPA_WBC Twitter
Feed (https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>), and WBC forum
on ConSimWorld (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd15816/
<http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd15816/>) for all the latest discussions
about WBC, including open gaming match-ups.

LODGING: Although the Host is long since sold out, overflow housing is
available across the street at the Continental Inn for $99 per day including a
free, hot breakfast. A three-night minimum stay is required for our special
group rate. One night's deposit will be required upon booking. Deposit is
refundable up until 48 hours prior to arrival. Phone 717-299-0421 to make your
reservation or email info [at] continentalInn.com <mailto:info [at]
continentalInn.com> for a callback by the reservationist. Alternatively, you
may book on line at http://www.continentalinn.com
<http://www.continentalinn.com/> at the regular rates and identify yourself in
the comments as claiming the WBC rate providing you are booking the three-night
minimum stay. Those looking to share rooms should post notices on our pre-reg
page  <http://boardgamers.org/wbc/prereg.htm>or any of the social media pages
listed above.

Watch our website immediately following WBC for the special Group Code and
opportunity to reserve rooms at Seven Springs for WBC 2016.

WBC 2015 EVENT PREVIEWS: Each of our record 164 tournaments are previewed in
detail as only WBC does them at http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/>.  Some have been updated since their
initial posts and those so affected will have an updated date in the list of
tournaments.

PBeM NEWS:

WATERLOO: To commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the battle, Ed Menzel is
offering a Waterloo tournament with five-month rounds in Single Elimination
format. Standard WBC rules and options
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex/watpge.htm> will be used with auction style
bidding for sides. See the details at watgame.com <http://www.watgame.com/> and
enter by August 15th for a September 9th start with edmenzel [at]
roadrunner.com <mailto:edmenzel [at] roadrunner.com>.

HERE I STAND: Round 1 of the Third BPA Here I Stand PBeM tournament is nearing
the end and is scheduled to finish just before WBC.  Six games have already
finished: Brian Kluger, Thomas Larisch, Michael Kiefte, Greg Ottoman, Michael
Dauer, and Gareth Williams have all put one win each under their belts.  So
far, the Papacy and Protestants are the major-power favorites to win with two
wins out of five each while England and France have yet to win a game. However,
there are still five more games to finish in this round.  It’s not too late to
sign up for Round 2 and still advance to the Final.  Details of the tournament
along with current results can be found at:
https://sites.google.com/site/hereistand2015pbem
<https://sites.google.com/site/hereistand2015pbem>  To register, contact
mkiefte [at] gmail.com <mailto:mkiefte [at] gmail.com>

TZOLKIN: Keith Dent claimed the top spot in the Tzolkin PBeM tournament,
followed by Jeff Meyer, Andrew Emerick, and Jon Senn. Keith started with two
levels on the resource track and followed a resource/architecture strategy,
ending with two monuments and 13 buildings. Jeff executed a theology strategy,
staying ahead on the brown and green temples, but didn't have a monument or
enough in the yellow temple to close the gap.  Also earning laurels were
Sceadeau D’Tela and Eric Freeman who took fifth and sixth respectively in the
field of 26. More details and tournament statistics can be seen on the website:
https://epworthian.wordpress.com/ <https://epworthian.wordpress.com/>

PRO GOLF CONCLUDES: The zanies have warmed up their dice for the summer’s
upcoming action in Lancaster as a record field of 52 duffers competed in the
dice rolling fest. Debbie Gutermuth proved to be the hottest, besting fellow
lady vicarious golfer Jennifer Visocnik by nine strokes with a 13-under par
performance for three rounds. Grabbing the remaining laurels were Terry
Coleman, Dennis Nicholson, Bruce Reiff and Peter Staab who finished third
through 6th.

MARCH MADNESS CHAMP or DEBBIE DOES TWO: Look out WBC … Debbie is hot. Mrs.
Gutermuth is this year’s BPA March Madness PBeM tournament champion, as her
10th seeded Arizona 2003 team defeated Marvin Birnbaum’s 1st seeded Houston
1968 team 94-86. Her victory completes her set of tournament titles - having
also won the WBC 2002 tournament. She remains the only woman to win either
version.

Entrance in all BPA Email tournaments is free to current members - including
PBeM members and WBC attendants with multi-day admission.

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail