BPA June 2015 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 06:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
25th TEAM TOURNAMENT: Yes, it is time for the 25th run for the slivers as the
Happy Handicapper challenges one and all to best his predictions and win fame,
fortune and glory in the Annual Bracket Bustin’ Contest. Check his early
prognostications at http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/teamtour.htm#commentary
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/teamtour.htm#commentary> and enter your team now
by emailing CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD [at] Boardgamers.org>. Your
teams must be composed of four pre-registered players - each vying in a
different event.

ONLY 8 DAYS LEFT TO PRE-REGISTER FOR WBC: WBC Pre-registration ends earlier
this year (June 30) and walkon rates are higher, so plan accordingly now and
avoid the sticker shock later. The 2014 WBC Pre-Reg form and accompanying
information is now posted at http://www.boardgamers.org/downloads/prereg15.pdf
<http://www.boardgamers.org/downloads/prereg15.pdf>  Current members who have
already purchased Sustaining or higher level memberships need NOT pre-register
UNLESS they want to register their team for the Team Tournament (the earlier
the better please - especially if you have a new team name), upgrade to Tribune
level to attend pre-cons, or order any of the numerous souvenir and apparel
items. However, the four-page folder contains much information on WBC so be
sure to check it out anyway - especially for the time sensitive purchase of
apparel items.

Note: If you are in the habit of showing up at the door and requesting extra
days on your badge, be advised that the higher walkon rates will apply.
Increased door rates are imposed to encourage pre-registration and avoid badge
reprints which slow the registration process for yourself and others. So, if
you want to upgrade your membership to include pre-cons, do so now before
Pre-Registration ends on June 30.

AUCTION/AUCTION STORE: The WBC AUCTION soldout in record time this year and is
no longer accepting lots. The Auction Store continues to accept submissions,
but unregistered items will NOT be accepted on site. NEW FOR 2015: To help cope
with the ever increasing paperwork burden for our staff, Auction Store
submissions must have a minimum of ten lots and Unsold Auction Store lots will
have a 25 cents handling charge deducted from the Sellers proceeds for each
unsold item. Emails confirming submission and providing Auction Store Lot
numbers will be sent by July 4th. Get the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/auctionstore.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/auctionstore.htm>.

GOODBYE BADGEHOLDER COLLECTION: If you are one of those who annually forgets to
bring their WBC pouch badgeholder and gets soaked for another $2 replacement
every year, take heart. WBC now has one less rule! Since no two people seem to
prefer the same badge appliance, we will provide an assortment to choose from -
be they the conventional pin, clip-on, magnetic or pouch. You can choose a free
pin device or purchase a more sophisticated version, or simply bring one of
your own if you wish to save the planet and/or our balance of payments deficit.
Just wear them, please.

CONTINENTAL INN VACANCIES: Although the Lancaster Host is long since sold out
for WBC week, the Continental Inn, conveniently located across the street - and
for the first time more accessible behind a newly installed Redlight, still has
rooms available at our special group rate. See the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/hotellan.htm
<http://www.boardgamers.org/hotellan.htm>.

YOUTH BOARDGAMING LEAGUE: Veteran WBC competitor, Dr. Gregory Thatcher, reports
considerable progress with the formation of a competitive scholastic
boardgaming league in California. Three news agencies covered their inaugural
tournament which can be viewed at
http://abc30.com/entertainment/fresno-state-hosts-first-valley-boardgaming-championships/738709/

<http://abc30.com/entertainment/fresno-state-hosts-first-valley-boardgaming-championships/738709/>.
 Dr Thatcher will be among the speakers at this summer’s WBC seminars and will
report on their exciting progress with this promising program.

TIE-DYE SPECIAL ORDERS CANCELLED/DUFFEL BAGS EXTENDED: We regret that due to
difficulties with the supplier we will be unable to provide Tie-Dye shirts this
year. Those who have already ordered them have had their paypal payments
refunded or will receive refunds at registration. We regret any inconvenience.
The good news, however, is that we are extending the orders for emroidered WBC
Duffel Bags - perfect for carrying all your new game purchases home. We will
even accept email reservations for same with payment upon arrival at WBC
registration. Just email us at CD [at] Boardgamers.org <mailto:CD [at]
Boardgamers.org> with your color preference of Red, Royal Blue or Green.

LESS THAN A MONTH TO VOTE: This year's Board of Directors election features
three incumbents and as many challengers vying for three seats. Get all the
information at http://boardgamers.org/election2015.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/election2015.htm>. As usual, voting is effortless and
takes only a moment thanks to the electronic ballot at
http://boardgamers.org/forms/BoardBallot.shtml
<http://boardgamers.org/forms/BoardBallot.shtml>. Voting will remain open until
July 15th. All members (any paid attendee of  WBC for more than one day is
considered a member) are urged to vote  since validation requires sufficient
membership participation.

WBC 2015 EVENT PREVIEWS: Each of our record 164 tournaments are reviewed in
detail as only WBC does them at http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/>. Recheck the formats for your favorite
events. A few scheduling errors have been corrected since the initial
unveiling.

PERSONAL SCHEDULER REVISED: Some initial coding errors occurred for ALH, CAR,
CCA, CMS, HWD, MGW, PRC, POF, SCT, SPD, TWI and VGQ and have since been
corrected so you may want to recheck those events. View the details of your
favorites and then plan your schedule using Steve Okonski's Personal Scheduler
at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/sviewer/
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/sviewer/>. Check the Schedule page for all of
the updated scheduling tools, including the iPad and android apps and a new
Kindle version at http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/schedule.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/schedule.htm>.

LIBRARY ADDITIONS: New contributions to the Game Library are now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc/library.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc/library.htm>. The BPA Game Library will lend out
2,000 games during the course of WBC week. Those wishing to add to the
offerings can deliver them to the Registration Desk in New Holland or mail to
BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 for delivery by July 30.

OPEN GAMING HELP: For those procrastinators who couldn’t get their act together
in time to take advantage of WBC’s Scheduled Open Gaming opportunities, there
is still help available even during the middle of the convention. Just use  the
Open Gaming Geek List:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1389327/open-gaming-geeklist
<http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1389327/open-gaming-geeklist> to find the
gaming match of your choice at the moment.

PRE-CON ATTRACTIONS: The complete list of events available during the 2015
Pre-Con weekend is noted at http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/precon.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex15/precon.htm>. To avoid extra cost for At the
Door admission be sure to update any Sustaining membership to Tribune status
before July if you wish to attend Pre-Con.

CURRENT MEMBERSHIP STATUS: Those wishing to check their current membership
levels may do so at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/prereg.htm#members
<http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/prereg.htm#members>. Use this page to check
the status of your registration, troll for teammates, rides or  roommates, or
even Open Gaming matches or baby sitting gigs. Send your requests to ACD [at]
boardgamers.org <mailto:ACD [at] boardgamers.org>.

POSTER, POSTCARDS & VIDEO: Our updated Publicity page at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/publicity.htm
<http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/publicity.htm> includes the latest assortment of
recruitment aids to help you regain the spirit of WBC and convince your friends
to join you. Help spread the word!

PBeM NEWS:

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC:  Join the action this September 15th, when the Ninth
tournament kicks off again.  See http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm
<http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_tournament.htm> for details!

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: The current leaders of the 2015 tournament are Joe Lux
(Assyria), Dave Rubin (Illyria), Haakon Monson (Babylon), Jonas Lundgvist
(Illyria), two-time and defending champion Mads Lunau (Illyria), Dan Morris
(Egypt), Nils Brobakk (Assyria), Josiah Allen (Assyria), Kevin Youells
(Assyria), and Ed Coderre (Africa).   Of course, the games all have between
three and six turns remaining, so there is plenty of time for lead changes and
ganging up on the leaders. Of our 38 players, eight will advance to the Final.
Meanwhile, the Final round of the previous event is currently led by last
year's sixth place laurelist, Jonas Lundgvist, (Iberia). Our reigning champ,
Mads Lunau (Babylon) is hot on his heels only 58 points behind after sacking
two Iberian cities this turn. Javier de la Fuente (Africa) and Kevin Youells
(Assyria) are also within 150 points of the Iberians, so the outcome is very
much in doubt as we prepare to enter the Late Iron Age. Updates are posted at
http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/ <http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/>

MARCH MADNESS: The BPA 2015 Final Four has finally been determined. In Bracket
A, Marvin Birnbaum’s top seeded Houston 1968 is taking on Aran Warszawski’s
Arizona 1997, and in Bracket B, the other top seed, Oliver Searles’ Kansas 1957
is being challenged by Debbie Gutermuth’s Arizona 2003. Track the progress of
the event at http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2015.htm
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2015.htm>.

PRO GOLF:  After two rounds, Debbie Gutermuth has forged ahead to a four-shot
lead over the field, thanks to John Daly posting a score of 11 under par after
our first two courses.  In second is Terry Coleman, who did the best on the
Muirfield Village course when Curtis Strange carded a round of 6 under par
there. The 22 golfers who made the cut by posting a score of 1 under par or
better after the first two rounds are now starting the Pebble Beach course
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/Pebble_Beach.htm>. This course has far more
potential for water and out of bounds than the other two courses, so the field
can either spread out or bunch up very quickly during this final round. To
track the progress, go to: http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/PBeM_Scoresheet.htm
<http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/PBeM_Scoresheet.htm>

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
<http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/>

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org
<http://www.boardgamers.org/>.

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.

        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
<http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc>

        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC <https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC>