BPA March News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 09:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
LAST CALL FOR GM COMMITMENTS: Less than a week remains in the Annual game of
"Chicken" to see who can be the last to claim a GM slot without seeing the
event dropped altogether. GMs are reminded to make their memberships current
AND submit an event form by March 15th. At that time events without a
satisfactory GM claim may be replaced by those events from the Alternate list
for which we have a satisfactory event form on file with a current GM
commitment. You can now claim any qualifying OPEN event by completing the
required event form at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after
reading the GM Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing
happens at WBC without a willing GM behind it. Check the current GM commitments
and requested start times at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/orphans.htm.

Century Events currently without a 2015 GM commitment include: • Can't Stop •
Auction • Age of Renaissance • Enemy in Sight • Formula De • Gangsters • Hammer
of the Scots • Here I Stand • Ingenius • Julius Caesar • Lost Cities • March
Madness • Panzerblitz • Paths of Glory • Rail Baron • Russian Campaign •
Sekigahara • Settlers of Catan • Small World • Speed Circuit • Victory in the
Pacific

Eligible Trial events lacking a 2015 GM commitment include: • Adel Verpflichtet
• Great Campaigns ACW • A Houde Divided • Hunters • Innovation • Maneuveur •
Temporum • CVS Salerno • Tigers in the Mist • Koenig's Fortress Europe •
Victory in Europe

Event forms for additional events seeking Alternate status  to fill any
vacancies and/or troll for Sponsor support will still be accepted until March
15th. Now is the time to step forward if you want to see an event offered at
WBC this summer.

CURRENT MEMBERSHIP STATUS: Those wishing to check their current membership
levels may do so at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/prereg.htm. Note that only
Sustaining level members and above are listed until General memberships become
available with the appearance of the Pre-Reg form in May.  Tribune-level
members can still earn free Yearbooks and/or T/Shirts/Hats by joining before
May.

DESIGNER DEMOS: In an effort to alleviate crowding in the Open Gaming theatre,
exhibit tables will NOT be allowed in the Showroom. Monitors will be tasked
with stricter policing of commercial efforts including prospective game
designers who set up displays to troll for P500/Kick Starter type backing.
While you are free to Open Game anything, you will not be allowed to monopolize
tables with displays that are not being actively played. Designers/publishers
are urged to register for FREE scheduled demos in the Paradise Assembly demo
area. To be included in the printed schedule, you must be a current Sustaining
level or higher member and register your demo no later than June 1st.
Demonstrations are limited to one hour duration unless longer periods are
cleared in advance. Multiple or longer demonstrations are allowed on a space
available basis. Contact  CD [at] boardgamers.org for additional information.
Include alternate times and type of table desired (either 6' rounds or 8' x 30"
rectangulars) as well as potential boxart files for display signage.
Reservations will be made on a first come, first served basis.  Submit requests
to http://boardgamers.org/forms/DemoForm.htm.

2016 RESERVATIONS: Several early birds have already attempted to make
reservations for 2016 at Seven Springs. Please be advised that the resort is
not accepting reservations more than a year in advance for WBC 2016 and that
such attempts will not be eligible for the much reduced group rate in any case.
We anticipate no problems in securing reservations once reservations are opened
in August and will advise everyone in plenty of time to secure lodging. The
greater capacity at Seven Springs was a major reason for our selecting that
site, so we urge you to wait for the official announcement of the opening of
reservations.

ANDREW CUMMINS: We sadly note the sudden passing of longtime member Andrew
Cummins, 59, of Cambridge, UK on February 26th. Andrew made the trip across the
big pond annually, never missing a WBC, and repeating the flight again in the
fall nine times to attend the BPA's BKN mini-con. One of Breakout's top
players, he currently ranks third on the laurel list and was one of only two
who won the WBC/PBeM/Swiss mini-con trifecta. More than a top player, Andrew
also served his hobby as GM of the event for the past eight years. He also left
his mark in the Squad Leader tribe, having won that event three times. A
student of history and man of letters, Andrew - like so many of his countrymen
- had a gift for literary expression and an affable disposition that made him a
favorite companion at post game celebrations or lamentations alike. Having
played literally hundreds of Breakout games over the years, I can honestly say
those with Andrew were among the most memorable. There will be one less shark
in the BKN pool this summer. Our time with Andrew is remembered on the BPA
Memorial page at http://boardgamers.org/memorial.htm.

NAVAL GAZETTE: Another free issue of the Naval Gazette is available for any
interested Wooden Ships & Iron Men fans. Contact our WSM GM Tim Hitchings at
Hitchings [at] juno.com to be added to the list.

SHOPPING HINTS: We're not normally in the habit of being a shill for commercial
products but two items of special interest to BPA members have come to our
attention that we thought we'd pass along. One is WBC: The Boardgame which
you've heard us shamelessly plug previously. Alas, it has not fared well on
GMT's P500 list and will be retracted if it does not make serious improvement
by April 1st. So, if you have any interest in adding this game to your
repertoire, order now or mark it forever off your list. Check it out at
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-495-wbc-the-board-game.aspx.

A second item of interest to an even more select audience is the memoir of my
former Avalon Hill Games Company boss, Tom Shaw - aptly entitled "Confessions
of an 84 year old Teenager". Tom is the person most responsible for leading me
into my present Peter Pan predicament. Together, we both did our best to never
grow up and have prolonged a life of fun and games long past the point when
most mere mortals have to face the realities of life. His humorously written
recollections chronicle his life of wine, women and  song - always centered
around a game of some sort - and brought back many memories and more than a few
chuckles. Those interested in sharing his nostalgic trip back in time can
acquire the book at the BN.com, Amazon.com, or Lulu.com bookstores.

APP PREPARATIONS: Kevin Broh-Kahn's WBC APP for the android platform was a big
hit last year. This year Michael Kiefte is doing the iOS version. They will be
coordinating to share similar features and interfaces, but be tailored to each
platform. Those interested in testing, making comments about last year's
version or requesting new features should contact dev [at] boardgamers.org.

PBeM NEWS:

HERE I STAND: The third Here I Stand PBeM tournament will start on April 10.
The game pits the leading figures of the period as they try to lead their
respective powers to domination of worldly affairs.  Contact mkiefte [at]
gmail.com to register.  The tournament will consist of five rounds: the first
three will be the tournament scenario.  The top 18 players will advance to the
fourth round and play the 1532 Scenario and the top six players will advance to
the fifth round and play the Campaign Scenario.  See more info at the official
website: https://sites.google.com/site/hereistand2015pbem/.

PEI TAKES FOR THE PEOPLE AGAIN: A field of 81 players could not derail the
Master's express in the latest For The People PBeM tournament. After 116 games,
only Bill Pettus stood between the BPA laurels leader and reigning Caesar and
another shield for his collection. Others winning laurels in the truly
international field were Domenico Licheri, Dominique Marchal, Tolga Corapci and
Tim Tow. Updated laurel totals and more details can be found at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/ftppge.htm#pbem.

MARCH MADNESS: Only 26 of the original 96 teams are still alive in the current
tournament with real life conference tournaments about to start. Aran
Warszawski's 34th seeded Arizona '97 squad leads the pack as the only team in
the Elite Eight. However, Oliver Searles, Bruno Passacantando, Debbie
Gutermuth, Terry Coleman and John Coussis still have both teams alive. Track
the progress of the event at http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2015.htm.

DENT WINS STONE AGE: 31 Gamers took to Yucata for the annual Stone Age
tournament, logging 95 games.  Unlike it's WBC event, the online version
features a different style of play - the 2-player game.  Stefan Mecay, Rob
Kircher, and Tim Mossman won their pools with 6-0 records.  Nick Henning earned
the high score with a 328 registered against GM Max Jamelli.  Pool play wrapped
up with 15 players in the Round Robin playoff.  Keith Dent and Andrew Emerick
outlasted the round robin field to meet in the best 2 of 3 series Final.
Emerick won Game 1 while Dent claimed Game 2.  The deciding game was went to
Dent by a 264-213 score using a strong building strategy while Emerick focused
on cards in each game. Others emerging with padded laurel totals were Curt
Collins II, Tim Mossman, Pete Staab and Eric Freeman. Updated laurels and event
details can be found at http://boardgamers.org/yearbook15/stapge.htm#pbem.

PRO GOLF:  Pro Golf will appropriately commence its Sixth Annual BPA PBeM
rendition on April 1.  This year we shall play Augusta during April, the month
of the Masters.  Round 2 in May will be played on the world famous Muirfield
Village, as the Memorial is played then.  Finally, during our third round in
June, we shall play Pebble Beach in honor of the U.S. Open. See all the details
at http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/pro_golf_PBeM_2015.html and contact bdmonnin
[at] nktelco.net to enter.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.
        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC
        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/