BPA February 2015 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 06:01:03 -0800 (PST)
WBC HISTORY UPDATED: Our Annual Year in Review summary and pictorial listing of
top Centurions is now posted at http://boardgamers.org/archive/history14.htm.

BPA MEDALS/LAURELISTS LIST UPDATE: Our annual compilation of events won and
career totals is now posted at  http://boardgamers.org/medals.htm with arch
villain Bruce Reiff (Boo! Hiss!) again leading the parade in most categories!
See our Top 25 gamers at http://www.boardgamers.org/l_sums.htm#top25. BPA's
complete list of Laurelists is also now current through 2014 at
http://boardgamers.org/l_sumsall.htm.

SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP COST INCREASE: Less than two weeks remain to purchase
Sustaining memberships for all of WBC Week at the bargain price of $70. Rates
increase $10 on March 1st. Complete your membership at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml.

2015 EVENT LINEUP: The lineup of eligible events for the 2015 Century and 25
Continuing Trial events has been updated with preliminary GM commitments at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/orphans.htm. It is now closed to all but
Vendor and Sponsor supported entries. However, event forms for additional
events seeking Alternate status  to fill any vacancies and/or troll for Sponsor
support will still be accepted until March 15th. Now is the time to step
forward if you want to see an event offered at WBC this summer.

UNDER 30 DAYS LEFT TO MAKE GM COMMITMENTS: There are many qualifying events
still looking for a GM commitment.  GMs are reminded to make their memberships
current AND submit an event form by March 15th. At that time, events without a
satisfactory GM claim will be replaced by those events from the Alternate list
for whom we have a satisfactory event form on file with a current GM
commitment. You can now claim any qualifying OPEN event by completing the
required event form at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after
reading the GM Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing
happens at WBC without a willing GM behind it. But please ... do NOT volunteer
unless you are going to fulfill the entire obligation.

PAUL VAN BLOEM: We sadly report the passing of longtime member Paul Van Bloem,
53, of Sykesville, MD on January 14th. Paul founded the computer consultancy,
Little Green Software, which he ran for three decades before taking employment
with Lockheed Martin. An avid bicyclist and boardgamer, Paul was an active
railgamer - playing supporting roles in the administration of Rail Baron and
Empire Builder tournaments for many years, and placing second in both, but
never achieving the grand prize. He amassed 104 laurels while playing in WBC
rail events and will be sorely missed by his fellow train gamers.  Paul now
joins too many of our friends taken too early to be remembered on our Memorial
page at http://boardgamers.org/memorial.htm.

AHIKS IRONMAN AWARD RETURNS TO WBC: As part of the 50th anniversary of the
AHIKS gaming organization, Randy Heller will be returning the former wargaming
metaprize to WBC using the tournament scenario of Bitter Woods. Prizes
augmenting the unique perpetual trophy include a subscription to War Diary, a
Compass Games gift certificate and AHIKS club shirt. For details contact Randy
at RGHeller50 [at] aol.com.

GM SUPPORT:  If you'd like to help out but don't feel confident enough to run
an event on your own or don't want to make too long a commitment, you could
still be of great assistance. Perhaps you are good at teaching games and would
be willing to run a demonstration for a GM who lacks the time or skills to
teach. If so, contact CD [at] Boardgamers.org with a list of games you'd be
willing to teach and we will pass along the offer to  a grateful GM.
Conversely, if you are a GM who uses a laptop at WBC to run their event, you
should contact Andy Latto at andy.latto [at] pobox.com. Andy has developed a
spreadsheet that speeds sign-in, does automatic badge-checking for
pre-registrants. calculates the qualifying/seeding order for semifinalists,
including verifying whether a win is in the first heat entered, and does most
of the preparation of the event report form. He even promises it will generate
a report suitable for sending in AREA results.

CURRENT MEMBERSHIP STATUS: As the years blur together, it becomes easy to
remember sending in that membership application/fee but forget that it was for
a year other than the current one. Those wishing to check their current
membership levels may do so at http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/prereg.htm. Note
that only Sustaining level members and above will be listed until General
memberships become available with the appearance of the Pre-Reg form in May.

LAST CALL FOR BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their
right to nominate members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the
next WBC. To appear on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at
least three members; one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be
signed and received at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than
February 28th to be eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations
are NOT acceptable, nor can a member nominate more than one member for the
Board. When contemplating nominations, members are urged to consider that the
BPA conducts most of its business by email and needs Board members who are able
and willing to offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely
manner. Board members should be considered more for their ability to contribute
to the running of a successful company than for their attachment to any
particular game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee
should submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what
they can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The
nomination form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

LAST CHANCE TO CHECK 2014 PATRONS: BPA's list of Patrons for 2014 is now posted
at http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/patrons.htm. Please report any inaccuracies to
cd [at] boardgamers.org no later than February 28th to ensure an accurate
listing in the upcoming Yearbook.

PBeM NEWS:

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: It's Advanced Civilization in ten minutes a day! The
fifth annual Advanced Civilization pbem tournament is now taking signups with
24 already committed. Each entrant will get to play in two concurrent games,
with the top eight players moving on to the Final. Games are played at
http://civ.rol-play.com/ (play is free, but registration is required). Full
tournament information is available at http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/. To sign
up, email the GM at kevinyouells [at] gmail.com by February 26th. Play begins
on March 1st. The 2014-15 Final continues. After seven rounds of play Jonas
Lundgvist's Iberia holds a nine-point lead over Javier de le Fuente's Africa.Of
course it is way too early for any lead to be of any consequence, but we aren't
going to let that stop us from finger pointing at the leader.

MARCH MADNESS: Only 38 of the original 96 teams are still alive in the current
tournament with real life conference tournaments still a month in the offing.
GM Bruce Monnin's 2000 Cincinnati Bearcats have sprinted ahead into a sweet 16
berth by besting Sean McCulloch's UCLA '74 Bruins 70 - 54, Chris Bauch
Louisville '80 squad 71-64 and Bill Edwards' Oklahoma State '04 team 72-56.
Track the progress of the event at
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2015.htm.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.
        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC
        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/