BPA January 2015 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 06:58:53 -0800 (PST)
TOM GREGORIO IS 2014 SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR: Charter member Tom Gregorio became
our 22nd Sportsmanship winner and in so doing, proved that not all nice guys
finish last. The proud owner of no less than nine WBC titles and our 19th
ranked career laurelist, is now also the highest ranked player with a
Sportsmanship Award to his credit. Tom earned his nomination in the Bitter
Woods tournament - an event he has won six times. He noticed his opponent had
left a hole in his defensive line with potentially crippling consequences. He
pointed out the error and allowed his well-versed adversary to correct the
error before playing on. It cost him the game, the tournament and team points
in one fell swoop, but his fellow members rewarded his chivalry with 13.3% of
the vote to claim our biggest prize - a free week's lodging at WBC 2015.

Other nominees drawing voter support were Nick Henning, Tim Horne, Katharine
McCorry, Doug Smith and Julia Carrigan. Thanks to all our good sports and to
the 285 members who took a moment to vote for them. Get the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc14/sportman.htm.

WBC 2015 TRIAL EVENTS NAMED: Our Annual December Membership Drive has ended and
the members have spoken, returning 22 old favorites to another slot in our
Tournament offerings for 2015 while admitting three new events for their WBC
debut: Lords of Water Deep, Russian Railroads and Splendor. More details
including the complete voting breakdown are provided at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc15/trialvote.htm.

2015 EVENT LINEUP: The initial lineup of eligible events for the 2015 Century
and 25 Continuing Trial events has been updated at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc15/orphans.htm. It is now closed to all but
Vendor and Sponsor supported entries. However, event forms for additional
events seeking Alternate status  to fill any vacancies and/or troll for Sponsor
support will still be accepted until March 15th.

GM COMMITMENTS: GMs are reminded to make their memberships current AND submit
an event form by March 15th. At that time, events without a satisfactory GM
claim will be replaced by those events from the Alternate list for whom we have
a satisfactory event form on file with a current GM commitment. You can now
claim any qualifying OPEN event by completing the required event form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing happens at WBC
without a willing GM behind it. But please ... do NOT volunteer unless you are
going to fulfill the entire obligation.

And yes, I'm a bit stodgy about following rules. Over the years I've found it
difficult to get universal compliance with the convention's policies without
reminding GMs of their responsibilities. Just assuming GMs will follow through
each year as they did previously without reminding them of what is expected
leads to mistaken assumptions which are difficult - if not impossible - to
rectify at the last minute. So, bear with me please ...

Submitting an event form annually accomplishes four things:

• It relieves me of the burden of assuming - often incorrectly - that nothing
has changed.
• It reminds GMs of their obligations and hopefully gets them to think about
their event in the offseason before it happens - perhaps causing an improvement
or two in the process.
• It firms up deadlines - which makes the considerable effort we undertake to
support our events a LOT more efficient.
• And to cynics like myself - yes, it constitutes a hoop for GMs to jump
through to demonstrate their continued sincerity. It's not much of a
qualification, but like the requirement to pay one's membership fee in advance,
over the years it has demonstrably generated a significantly more reliable core
of GM support. If taking the time to complete a form is too much to ask, then
perhaps you're not the best choice to be a GM. WBC prides itself on its
volunteer's performance. WBC DOES require more from its GMs than is the norm
elsewhere - and we believe there is a cause and effect relationship as a
consequence. We draw gamers from across the nation and the world for our unique
brand of tournament emphasis. That comes with a certain responsibility to do
our best not to disappoint them. So, thanks again for putting up with my
efforts at quality control.

EVENT CO-ORDINATION: Eric Freeman is again volunteering to co-ordinate 2015
Euro events in an attempt to minimize scheduling conflicts. If you'd  like to
be part of this effort, contact freemaneric [at] comcast.net.

2014 PATRONS: BPA's list of Patrons for 2014 is now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/patrons.htm. Please report any inaccuracies to cd
[at] boardgamers.org no later than February 28th to ensure an accurate listing
in the upcoming Yearbook.

GM SUPPORT:  If you'd like to help out but don't feel confident enough to run
an event on your own or don't want to make too long a commitment, you could
still be of great assistance. Perhaps you are good at teaching games and would
be willing to run a demonstration for a GM who lacks the time or skills to
teach. If so, contact CD [at] Boardgamers.org with a list of games you'd be
willing to teach and we will pass along the offer to  a grateful GM.
Conversely, if you are a GM who uses a laptop at WBC to run their event, you
should contact Andy Latto at andy.latto [at] pobox.com. Andy has developed a
spreadsheet that speeds sign-in, does automatic badge-checking for
pre-registrants. calculates the qualifying/seeding order for semifinalists,
including verifying whether a win is in the first heat entered, and does most
of the preparation of the event report form. He even promises it will generate
a report suitable for sending in AREA results.

BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to nominate
members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC. To appear
on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least three members;
one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be signed and received
at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February 28th to be
eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable,
nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members are urged to consider that the BPA conducts
most of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing
to offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

PBeM NEWS:

ADEL VERPFLICHTET:  All thieves, detectives, exhibitors, and auction bidders
are invited to join the action which begins January 25th.  Put that BPA
membership you just renewed into action immediately – with a tournament that
will be over before the WBC!  Each player will participate in five
simultaneous, fast-playing preliminary games – leading to a pair of semifinals
for the top ten.  Check out the format at
http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_bpa/adv_format.htm and then join by emailing
john [at] gameaholics.com.  You can see the action (including previous year’s
results) at http://www.gameaholics.com/adv_tournament.htm.

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: It's Advanced Civilization in ten minutes a day! The
fifth annual Advanced Civilization pbem tournament is now taking signups. Each
entrant will get to play in two concurrent games, with the top eight players
moving on to the Final. Games are played at http://civ.rol-play.com/ (play is
free, but registration is required). Full tournament information is available
at http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/. To sign up, email the GM at kevinyouells [at]
gmail.com by February 26th. Play begins on March 1st.

The preliminary games for the 2014-15 tournament have come to a close.
Congratulations to our eight finalists! The top finishers were led by Ed
Coderre and GM Kevin Youells with two wins each. Joining them are two-time pbem
champion Mads Lunau, in addition to prior finalists Jonas Lundgvist, Javier de
la Fuente, and Joe Lux, Jose Dominguez and Steve Cameron join as first time
finalists. The nations have been selected and early moves have begun.

BREAKOUT NORMANDY:  With two rounds completed, eight players entered the
quarterfinals of the latest BKN PBeM tournament. The pairings for Round 3 are
Steve Andriakos vs Dennis Nicholson, Jim Eliason vs Don Greenwood, Henry Jones
vs Kevin Hammond, and Dan Leader vs Jason Albert. Check out the details at
https://sites.google.com/site/breakoutnormandytournament/bkn-pbem-9.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament
athttp://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visitinghttp://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.
        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC
        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/