BPA October Newsletter
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 03:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
NOW PLAYING SETS NEW TEAM TOURNAMENT SCORING RECORD: 80 teams entered the 24th
“Run for the Slivers” at the 2014 WBC and the 2006 scoring record of 24 points
was not just broken; it was shattered, stomped on, and ground into dust by Now
Playing as the next generation of young guns continues to show their elders the
door. The 30 points scored by the 54-1 entry was a full 25% more than any team
has achieved in the 24 years of the tournament. The victors were led by the 17
points of the Henning brothers dynamic duo, Nick and Karl, who together won
seven tournaments during the week - thus improving their odds considerably of
correctly calling their shots in the Team Tournament. The nimble fingers of
dexterity king Dave Meyaard who correctly called his fifth antlers title in
repeating as Elchfest champ added another eight points as the team racked up
its third predicted title. The lone slacker in this foursome was Jon Gemmel
whose 4th place finish in the 166-player field ofCarcassonne nonetheless added
five points for good measure. He can take solace in the knowledge that he
singlehandedly outscored 46 teams. Many additional details are available at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/teamtournamentresults.htm.

MALY WINS BRACKET BUSTING CONTEST: In a hazardous year for predictions with
many favorites left in the dust, Andrew Maly managed to be the only player to
correctly pick the top four teams in our annual Team Tournament prediction
contest. The contest record of six correct picks by Mark Love in 2009 and Dave
Meyaard in 2013 was never threatened. It was a tough year for predictions with
72% of the field scoring only two or less correct picks. Also managing four
correct picks were Nick Henning, Andrew Drummond, Ewan McNay and Mark Love -
back for a second try at prognosticator glory - but all falling short in the
all important tiebreakers.

BOARD MASTERS UPDATED: The list of WBC tournament winners with three or more
titles has been updated at http://boardgamers.org/boardmasters.htm. Among those
climbing to new heights were Bruce Beard gaining his red board, Harry Flawd his
purple, and John Emery his orange. We salute these and all our other career
Board Masters.

WBC 2014 REVISITED: So you want to know what you missed? Don't take my word for
it. View WBC through the eyes of those who experienced it and share their
viewpoints, good, bad or indifferent. Our publicity page has been updated with
virtually dozens of links of those willing to share their experiences. Check
them out at http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/publicity.htm before deciding what to
do with your next summer vacation.

LAST CALL FOR 2014 YEARBOOK REPLACEMENT:  Collectors of our annual Yearbooks
may have noted the errors on pages 13 and 16 of the printed 2013-14 version.
These were corrected in the online versions at
http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook13/print/, but those wishing a corrected
book for their collections may obtain one for free by submitting the misprinted
pages to Lost Battalion Games, P. O. Box 88, Upperco, MD 21155. This offer is
only valid until October 30th, 2014 so act now if you want a pristine copy.

WBC EVENT REPORTS IN PROGRESS: 70 days after WBC, Event After Action Reports
are still being collected to update 159 Event pages on our website for a
scheduled November unveiling. Seven GMs who have yet to fulfill that part of
their obligation have been notified that the clock is ticking and that prize
level and eligibility penalties will apply for those events whose GMs do not
comply. WBC is unique among all gaming conventions for providing not only this
coverage but also archiving such reports for posterity. Check the BPA Archives
section of our home page to see the history of your favorite event over the
past 15 years.

WBC 2015 EVENT SUBMISSIONS: Great events are planned a year in advance. They
don't just happen at the last minute. Every year, prospective GMs come forward
wanting to get new events on the ballot after the voting has already started.
By then, it is too late. Be proactive and take care of that now.The deadline
for inclusion on the Annual ballot is November 24th. It's never too early to
begin planning for next year - especially if you want to muster support for a
new event by getting it on the membership ballot or move an event into the
Pre-Con. Those merely wishing to get an event on the membership ballot who are
willing to GM that event should complete the required event form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. We will be sending the
usual suspects a reminder next month with suggestions for hosting better
events. If you have any interest in helping make WBC better by participating as
a GM for your favorite game, send us an email at CD [at] boardgamers.org to
receive a copy.

PBeM NEWS:

O'CONNOR WINS RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN: After two years of single elimination play
encompassing 29 games between 30 opponents, Ed O’Connor's Russians defeated Pat
“the TRC Sensei” Flory in the 10-turn scenario in a hard fought match. Laurels
were also won by John Malaska, Doug James, Bert Schoose and John Ohlin. More
details and updated laurel totals can be found at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook14/trcpge.htm#pbem.

DROZD WINS WAR AT SEA: Rob Drozd triumphed to win his first BPA War At Sea
championship plaque over a field of 37. After defeating Jim Bodenheimer and
Scott Beall, he lost in the third round to Andy Maly's Axis, the only player to
go a perfect 5-0 in the Swiss rounds. Rob rebounded to defeat Andrew Choptiany
and Karl Bodenheimer to advance to the single elimination portion of the event.
In the quarterfinals, Rob used the Allies to defeat perennial contender
Jonathan Lockwood. He lost a battle in the Barents on Turn 3, but sank five
Germans to make the Allied fleet ascendant the rest of the game. In the
semifinals he again encountered Andy Maly, this time he had the Axis and
avenged the earlier loss. Rob's Axis grabbed a 6 POC lead without losing a
German ship in the first three turns, then clinched victory with a Turn 7 clash
in the South Atlantic. Rob's Axis sank three carriers on Turn 1 (via LBA,
U-boats and surface fleet) in the Final vs Ed Menzel. With those ASW gone, Rob
was able to survive three close ASW/U-Boat battles to keep the North Sea open
twice, which the German fleet used to earn the championship by 1 POC (3 POC
after the handicap).

Andy Maly (with a 5-1 record) placed third, while Dennis Nicholson (fourth with
a 5-2 record), Jonathan Lockwood (fifth place; 4-2) and Rob Flowers (sixth;
4-2) were the other laurelists. The Axis won 48 of the 84 games played (57%),
with the Allies taking three of the five elimination games. More details plus
updated laurel totals are available at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook14/waspge.htm#pbem.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.
        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC
        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/