BPA September News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
PASSACANTANDO WINS HOBBY SERVICE AWARD:  Bruno Passacantando became the 15th
recipient of BPA's Hobby Service Award at the 2014 Annual Meeting. WBC runs on
the volunteer efforts of your fellow gamers - from the GMs that run the events
to the support staff that does all the behind-the-scenes work to your unpaid
Board of Directors that calls the shots. WBC will draw over 2,000 people - the
vast majority of whom will never give a second thought to participation in any
way beyond their attendance. Only 10% will take a moment to vote in our
elections. Yet, those 10% manage to make it happen year after year on the backs
of the same tried and true hobby stalwarts. Our Hobby Service Award is devoted
to recognizing the efforts of the best of the best with an annual moment of
recognition for their selfless participation.

Bruno earned our admiration for serving as our Treasurer for more years than I
can recall and has been a regular attendee since 1994. He volunteered his CPA
expertise - gained from years of operating his own firm - to safeguard our
financial well being. If memory serves, he was around for the crucial early
dealings with America’s favorite regulatory agency and navigating those
hazardous waters is scary stuff indeed - even moreso given recent revelations
about the IRS. If the tedium doesn’t get you, you’re liable to be crushed by a
landslide of government regulations.  If there’s a harder job than navigating
the bureaucratic maze of the government, I’m not aware of it. He must have done
a good job because we’re still solvent.

At WBC, he can usually be found splitting his time between wargames such as
Great Campaigns and Breakout: Normandy and just about all of the various sports
tournaments - having earned laurels in most of them. If you have the
opportunity, I hope you will thank him for his service by giving him a few
laurels of your own. Check out the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc14/service.htm.

WBC 2014 ATTENDANCE RECORD: We set another attendance record during our ninth
year in Lancaster. In all, players from over 50 states and Canadian provinces
plus a record 21 nations attended in 2014. 24 events drew triple-digit
participation - another all time high! All of the scheduled 159 events achieved
tournament status with fields ranging from a minimum of eight to a record 303
players for Ticket to Ride! This year's champions are now listed on line at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/champs.htm. A more complete listing of the top
six places, updated laurel totals, photos and anecdotes for every event as only
WBC does it will appear on our website in November.
14 reigning WBC champions successfully defended their titles, led by the
Master, James Pei, who extended his dominance in For The People to six straight
years to maintain his hold on WBC's longest current winning streak.  Curt
Collins II remained his closest pursuer with his fourth consecutive Union
Pacific title  - but will require voting support in our Annual Membership Drive
Trial Event selections if he is to get the opportunity to try for a fifth.
Other contenders in this 14-member pack are Peter Gurneau (Combat Commander)
and Eric Wrobel (Merchant of Venus) who claimed their third straight
championships in their respective specialties.

113 new champions were crowned for the first time, including 35 who claimed
their first WBC title of any kind. That left 46 enjoying another taste of
victory in a favored event - with 29 of them claiming higher Boardmaster status
with their third (or more) championship in their game of choice. 92 players
earned their first laurels to claim genuine contender bonafides in the years to
come. 15 gents managed to win two events each while the ladies' market share
shrunk by 40% as only six reached the top rung in 2014. But all were
overshadowed by the awesome performance of Nick Henning who won FIVE titles - a
heretofore never achieved total that rendered my usual baseball analogies
obsolete. The accomplishment was even more impressive because Nick had won only
one of those events previously.

2016 WBC SITE CHANGE ANNOUNCED:  The Seven Springs Mountain Resort in southwest
Pennsylvania was announced as the new home of WBC for 2016 at the recent BPA
Annual Meeting. During the following two days, ten hourly virtual tour
presentations by John Hess, Sales Manager for the property, answered questions
and showed highlights of the new venue.  In response to many requests to widen
the gap to the school year, we've also moved our date up to the last week in
July ...  Pre-Con will start Saturday, July 23rd. WBC Week will begin Monday,
July 25th and end Sunday July 31st. Seven Springs has much to offer as a
vacation destination as we usher in a new era in the evolution of WBC. Among
the highlights:

• ACCOMMODATIONS: 400 guestrooms backed  by overflow accommodations in the form
of nearby chalets and condos plus a neighboring Hidden Valley property offering
a somewhat lower room rate. A nearly endless supply of rooms as well as  a
greater variety of lodging choices. The annual jockeying for reservations on
site should soon be a thing of the past.

• RENOVATIONS: This property has been recently renovated, and like Disneyland,
is in an almost constant state of rebirth. The AC unit in one of the buildings
is brand new. And best of all, the BPA has subsidized the room rate to make
rooms available at the same cost as our present site. More on that later.

• ACCESS: Despite the greater number of rooms, you will find yourself closer to
the action. This is a 10-floor hotel serviced by five elevators in the tower
portion alone. Disabled access is greatly improved. Parking is plentiful and
free - and while it may not be close to your room, it will be closer to the
meeting space for those who use their car trunks as a game cache. This was a
major advantage over all other sites considered.

• MEETING SPACE: Overall, the space is somewhat larger than we have presently,
although it tends to be more spread out with a second building similar to the
Expo Center in distance from the hotel. Navigating the site will be similar to
seeing the Host for the first time or akin to finding where your classes are
during your freshman year. In short, lots of individual rooms as opposed to one
large concrete hall.  And much of it with a panoramic view of the countryside.
There will be more space for vendors, open gaming and dedicated tournament
rooms. Best of all, the table inventory is a major improvement in terms of both
number, types and quality.

• FOOD SERVICE: 7 Springs has 11 different restaurants on site ranging from
fast food to fine dining - some of it within steps of the gaming areas.

• AMENITIES: This is a resort with lots to entertain the non-gamer in your
family. Among the attractions are an outstanding golf course, Zip-line canopy
tours, alpine slides, mountain biking, rock climbing, Segway tours, paintball,
disc golf,  bowling, horse riding, spas, and sporting clays as well as indoor
and outdoor pools. Suffice to say that those of us who have visited the place
suddenly found ourselves with more attentive family members. Whether that's a
good thing or not for your personal family situation, I leave to your
discretion.

• WEATHER: Even the climate is attractive with mountain breezes dispensing with
all but the worst summer heat and humidity.

There is much more to say about this exciting development - but it requires and
deserves far more space than we have here - so we will be providing the details
in the months ahead. Even so, 2014 will be remembered as the year the public
forums changed from pillorying the Lancaster Host to criticizing the decision
to leave it. We never appreciate what we have until its gone. Venue changes are
always controversial and this one was no exception. The announced location
change for 2016 aroused much comment, pro and con, as was expected, and
understandably raised many questions ... especially from those not attending
the announcement or site presentations. Rather than engage in a never-ending
commentary on social media with all of its attendant rumors and assumptions
fueling concerns, we will prepare an extensive statement at a later time when
concerns can be addressed more efficiently and completely in one place rather
than being buried in a never ending thread. We will have much more to say on
this subject in due course from the Director's Chair section of our website as
the final preparations are made - while hopefully not confusing anyone about
next year in Lancaster.  Stay tuned for the details.

WBC AUCTION RESULTS:  The 2014 version of the WBC Auction sold all 544 lots for
an average price of $33.44 for a 4.7% increase over 2013 with an ASL collection
which went for $510 taking top billing. Many more details and a complete list
of auction sales are available at http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/auctionsales.htm.

2014 YEARBOOK REPLACEMENT:  Collectors of our annual Yearbooks may have noted
the errors on pages 13 and 16 of the printed 2013-14 version. These were
corrected in the online versions at
http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook13/print/, but those wishing a corrected
book for their collections may obtain one for free by submitting the misprinted
pages to Lost Battalion Games, P. O. Box 88, Upperco, MD 21155. This offer is
valid until October 30th, 2014.

2014 ELECTION RESULTS: Incumbents Ken Gutermuth and Bruce Monnin won
re-election to the Board of Directors and were joined by the return of Stuart
Tucker to his second stint on the Board in the class of 2014. Stuart's election
marks the first return of a prior Board member to a second term. Members are
reminded that participation in the annual elections is needed to meet our
Non-Profit Corporation requirements regardless of your preference for the
officers. If participation drops beneath the minimum threshold required, we
will be unable to continue operations in our current format. The results were
announced at the BPA Annual Meeting but the Vote totals and links to officer
profiles can be found at http://www.boardgamers.org/board/electionresult.htm.

WILLIAM F. DUKE: We are sad to report the death of longtime member William Duke
after an eight year battle with cancer.  A resident of Pasadena, MD, Bill
passed away on 17 July 2014, just shy of his 58th Birthday. He was survived by
his parents and three siblings, a wife, daughter, and one grandchild. He served
in the U.S. Air Force and retired from the National Security Agency. He was an
Eagle Scout, member of the Civil Air Patrol,
and the Games Club of Maryland, as well as a regular participant at the WBC as
long as his health permitted. He was a past champion of Rail Baron and frequent
finalist in Settlers of Catan, among others, having amassed 166 laurels over an
11-year period.

WBC EVENT REPORTS IN PROGRESS: 30 days after WBC, Event After Action Reports
are still being collected and used to update 159 Event pages on our website for
a scheduled November unveiling. Those GMs who have yet to fulfill that part of
their obligation have been notified that the clock is ticking and that prize
level and eligibility penalties will apply for those events whose GMs do not
comply. WBC is unique among all gaming conventions for providing not only this
coverage but also archiving such reports for posterity. Check out the BPA
Archives section of our home page to check out the progress of your favorite
event over the past 15 years.

WBC 2015 EVENT SUBMISSIONS: It's never too early to begin planning for next
year - especially if you want to muster support for a new event by getting it
on the membership ballot or move an event into the Pre-Con. There is a limited
amount of space available for early starts so if you contemplate moving your
event to Monday or sooner, you need to start the process now by getting
approval early enough for us to seek the required space. Such moves to or from
Pre-Con or Monday status should be discussed asap with cd [at] boardgamers.org.
Those merely wishing to get an event on the membership ballot who are willing
to GM that event should complete the required event form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form.

SOCIAL NETWORKING: Keep up with WBC electronically by joining the World
Boardgaming Championships (WBC) Facebook group and the BPA_WBC Twitter Page.
You can also easily find us in the Boardgame Geek Forums  under Gaming Related,
Conventions, WBC.
        • BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/970241/boardgamegeek/wbc
        • Twitter: https://twitter.com/BPA_WBC
        • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2381468400/
        • Consimworld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?14@@.1dd15816

PBeM NEWS:

DIPLOMACY STARTS IN OCTOBER: The tournament will begin October 17, 2014 with
first moves due no later than October 24, 2014.  Each player will be assigned
three games quasi-randomly that will run concurrently. Every effort will be
made to make sure that you play different opponents in these three games as
different nations.  Moves due weekly every Friday by 6 pm EST through
http://playdiplomacy.com. No timeouts, and no missing moves (all hold
twice-then disorder and disband). Solo first place: 12 points; two-way victory
10 points, three-way victory 7 points; not a victor but survived with more
centers 3 points, survived with equal centers 2 points, survived at all 1 point
(not cumulative). In  case of a tie the player with more total victory centers
in all games combined wins the BPA wood. A team with 18 centers may declare
victory if no one has equal or more victory centers than the least winner.
Spring 1901 is the first turn, the last turn is Fall 1920; unless the game ends
earlier. Visit http://diplomacywwi.weebly.com/
for complete details.

TZOLK'IN STARTS IN OCTOBER:  The dynamic worker placement game (loosely) based
on the Mayan calendar had its debut tournament at the WBC in 2014, and will now
also have an online BPA competition on the  boiteajeux.net  game portal.  This
website allows asynchronous turn-by-turn play of the game and will send emails
to inform you when it is your turn.   Players will be expected to check the
site at least once daily.  Two rounds of 3-4 preliminary swiss-format games
will advance the top eight players to single elimination.   Visit
http://epworthian.wordpress.com/ to view the tournament format, and email Rob
Flowers at  rpf1 [at] mindspring.com  by October 19 to enter.

YAURE WINS ADEL VERPFLICHTET: Christopher Yaure proved that close enough isn't
just for horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear war -- it counts in Adel
Verpflichtet too.  Chris qualified for the semifinals on tie-breakers (the
highest of those with 17 points including two wins).  Chris then advanced to
the Final as the only finalist without a win -- using the second tie-break as
the best runner-up with 3 spaces (having a set of 10 cards).  In a fitting
finish to his winless title, Chris prevailed in a tie for first place with Tom
DeMarco with the largest set (a one-card margin [12] over Suzanne Tuch's 11
card set). The 35-game tournament also awarded laurels to Tom DeMarco, Bob
Hamel, Suzanne Tuch, Sharee Pack and Greg Thatcher in that order. More details
including updated laurel totals are available at
http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook14/advpge.htm. The tournament will begin
again on January 3rd this coming year with the hope that we can finish before
WBC!  See all the details at www.gameaholics.com/adv_tournament.htm.

RUBIN WINS WASHINGTON'S WAR: The seven-round Swiss-Elimination competition
began in February 2013 with 61 players and ran for 16 months. Champion Dave
Rubin was not among the favorites to win the tournament when it started to say
the least. Indeed, in the 20 year history of BPA We the People/Washington’s War
tournaments he had won zero laurels prior to this. Rubin overcame a loss in
Round 1 as the Americans to Jean-Louis Dirion to go 6-1. He defeated Tom
Thornsen, Greg Gollaher and Andre Heller in the preliminary rounds and advanced
to the elimination rounds on tiebreakers. He then defeated Henry Rice in the
quarterfinals, Trevor Bender in the semifinals and Dan Leader in the
championship, all three of whom were undefeated prior to losing to Rubin. He
won three times each as the Brits and as the Americans. In the quarterfinal
against Rice he pulled out the win as the Americans in 1781 despite having had
Washington captured in 1777. In the semifinal against Bender he won a rare
automatic victory as the British in 1777 when he cleared the map of American
combat units after capturing Washington.

Leader defeated Mike Kettman, Philip-Burgin Young, Kirk Harris and Bill Peeck
in the preliminary rounds, Harris again in the quarterfinals and James Pei in
the semifinals to advance to the championship. He also won 3 times each as the
Brits and as the Americans. Pei defeated Bender in a consolation match to earn
third place. Rice and Jonathan Moody were the other laurelists based upon
tiebreaker points earned in the preliminary rounds. For more details on this
113-game event and current WWR laurel totals, see
http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook14/wwrpge.htm#pbem.

Remember ... all of the above PBeM fun is free to current BPA members. Others
may qualify with a $10 Email membership in the year the event starts. All
multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for the balance of that
calendar year. You need not keep your membership current in order to finish a
PBeM event. Players may join the BPA throughout the year. See the BPA Terms
page for details.

=================================

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite game
are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does not run
tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending support to one
another so such events can happen. No one cares as much about your hobby as you
do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a BPA email tournament at
http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list  otherwise.