BPA January 2014 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 05:01:16 -0800 (PST)
SPORTS(WO)MAN OF THE YEAR EMILY WU:  Who says romance is dead? WBC's presumably
male bastion has elected a member of the fair sex for the fourth time as our
Sports(wo)man of the Year. Emily Wu won our annual membership vote handily over
a field of 15 nominees by commanding over 17% of the vote. Emily's presence was
noted throughout the con as being a game and upbeat competitor in numerous
wargame events heavily dominated by males where female presence is often
lacking. Despite much in the way of success in the won/loss columns, she took
the experience in stride and came back for more. That alone is worthy of
notice, but when she and Geoff Allbutt got married during the convention at
9:30 on Thursday and then returned to the Host to play in another tournament -
well, her election was all but certain. In the game of life when a woman gives
up her honeymoon to pursue her husband's hobby, she's a keeper!
Congratulations, Geoff and Emily! As compensation for the honeymoon, the first
anniversary lodgings are on us at WBC 2014. And you can even bring Geoff if you
want.

All 15 nominees received votes with 310 members participating. Others receiving
strong support were Tom McCorry (14%), Rob Drozd and Max DuBoff (10%), Antony
Saccenti (9%) and Rose Hitchings (8%). Congratulations to all of our good
sports and our thanks for making WBC a better experience for all of us to
enjoy. Further details are available at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc13/sportman.htm.

WBC 2014 TRIAL EVENTS NAMED: A record turnout for our Annual December
Membership Drive gave 23 old favorites another slot in our Tournament offerings
for 2014 while admitting two new Euros: Tzolk'in and King of Tokyo. Trans
America led the list of returnees with 321 votes although wargames claimed 15
of the 25 available Trial vote slots ... depending on your definition of
"wargame". More details including the complete voting breakdown are provided at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc14/trialvote.htm.

2014 EVENT LINEUP: The initial lineup of eligible events for the 2014 Century
and 25 Continuing Trial events has been updated at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc14/orphans.htm along with the initial GM claims.
It is now closed to all but Vendor and Sponsor supported entries. Event forms
for additional events seeking Alternate status  to fill any vacancies and/or
troll for Sponsor support will still be accepted until March 15th.

GM COMMITMENTS: GMs are reminded to make their memberships current AND submit
an event form by March 15th. At that time, events without a satisfactory GM
claim will be replaced by those events from the Alternate list for whom we have
a satisfactory event form on file with a current GM commitment. You can now
claim any qualifying OPEN event by completing the required event form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing happens at WBC
without a willing GM behind it. But please ... do NOT volunteer unless you are
going to fulfill the entire obligation.

And yes, I'm a bit stodgy about following rules. Over the years I've found it
difficult to get universal compliance with the convention's policies without
reminding GMs of their responsibilities. Just assuming GMs will follow through
the following year as they did previously without reminding them of what is
expected leads to mistaken assumptions which are difficult - if not impossible
- to rectify at the last minute. So, bear with me please ...

Submitting an event form annually accomplishes four things:

• It relieves me of the burden of assuming - often incorrectly - that nothing
has changed.
• It reminds GMs of their obligations and hopefully gets them to think about
their event in the offseason before it happens - perhaps causing an improvement
or two in the process.
• It firms up deadlines - which makes the considerable effort we undertake to
support our events a LOT more efficient.
• And to cynics like myself - yes, it constitutes a hoop for GMs to jump
through to demonstrate their continued sincerity. It's not much of a
qualification, but like the requirement to pay one's membership fee in advance,
over the years it has demonstrably generated a significantly greater % of GM
reliability than those who refuse to meet it. If taking the time to complete a
form is too much to ask, then perhaps you're not the best choice to be a WBC
GM. WBC prides itself on its GM's performance. WBC DOES require more from its
GMs than is the norm elsewhere - and we believe there is a cause and effect
relationship as a consequence. WBC draws gamers from across the nation and the
world for its unique brand of tournament emphasis. That comes with a certain
responsibility to do our best not to disappoint them. So, thanks again for
putting up with my efforts at quality control.

WBC HISTORY UPDATED: Our Annual Year in Review summary and pictorial listing of
top Centurions is now posted at http://boardgamers.org/archive/history13.htm
with enhanced graphics of past years champs.

BPA MEDALS/LAURELISTS LIST UPDATE: Our annual compilation of events won and
career totals is now posted at http://boardgamers.org/medals.htm with arch
villain Bruce Reiff (Boo! Hiss!) again leading the parade! See our Top 25
gamers at http://www.boardgamers.org/l_sums.htm#top25. BPA's complete list of
Laurelists is also now current through 2013 at
http://boardgamers.org/l_sumsall.htm.

2013 PATRONS: BPA's list of Patrons for 2013 is now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc13/patrons.htm. Please report any inaccuracies to cd
[at] boardgamers.org no later than February 28th to ensure an accurate listing
in the upcoming Yearbook.

BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to nominate
members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC. To appear
on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least three members;
one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be signed and received
at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February 28th to be
eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable,
nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members are urged to consider that the BPA conducts
most of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing
to offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

PBeM NEWS:

ADEL VERPFLICHTET/BY HOOK OR BY CROOK/HOITY TOITY: Whatever you call it, you’ve
always wanted to bluff your way into a BPA championship.  Now’s your chance –
the thieving, jailing, exhibiting, and bidding begins February 21, 2014.
Everyone plays five games in just 6-9 weeks with the tournament wrapping up a
month before WBC!  Learn the game and check out the tournament format at
www.gameaholics.com/adv_bpa/adv_format.htm and then contact john [at]
gameaholics.com to enter!

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: It's that time of year again...signups are now underway
for the 2014/15 Advanced Civilization PBeM tournament. Come rule a nation from
the Stone Age to the Iron Age in five minutes a day instead of an eight hour
stretch. Each entrant will play two concurrent first round games, advancing
eight to the final. Full information is available at
http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/. Please contact the GM at kevinyouells [at]
gmail.com prior to February 26th to sign up. The games will begin on March 1st.

PRO GOLF: Appropriately enough, on April 1st, 2014, one week before the 2014
Masters, BPA will kick off its Fifth Annual Pro Golf PBeM tournament. For those
who just can't get enough dice rolling and giggles in their life, we bring the
silliness to you year 'round. See the event details at
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/pro_golf_PBeM_2014.html and enter this
monumental test of skill by emailing GM Bruce Monnin at bdmonnin [at]
nktelco.net.

BREAKOUT NORMANDY: Also commencing April 1st with a decidedly different skill
set will be the Ninth BPA PBeM tournament for Breakout Normandy in a Single
Elimination format. Both the Avalon Hill and L2 versions will be accommodated
in 5-month rounds. See
https://sites.google.com/site/breakoutnormandytournament/ for details and
contact GM Mark Gutfreund at gutfreund15 [at] yahoo.com to enter.

MARCH MADNESS: All first round games have concluded and two over-achievers have
already reached the Sweet 16 as Jeremy Billones and, sadly, Bruce Reiff are now
four games from the title. Follow the action at
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/mm-brack-2013.htm.

  • (no other messages in thread)