BPA November News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 02:04:20 -0800 (PST)
LARRY LINGLE IS WBC's 2013 GM OF THE YEAR:  Nine years of sailing the bounding
main at the helm of WBC's very own Pirates of the Caribbean ride have paid off
for "Cap'n Larry" with free lodging at the next WBC for being our 2013 GM of
the Year. The turnstiles admitted a record 121 pirates in 2013 as Pirate's Cove
broke the triple digit participation mark for the fourth year in a row -
despite recently adding walking the plank ceremonies to the festivities. Larry
won the award over rookie challenger Nick Ferris who netted half the first
place votes for guiding two triple-digit fields (Dominion, Seven Wonders) while
introducing a clever new randomizer method for quickly assigning tables for
these mega events. Finishing a close third in the vote was retiring GM Dan
Dolan whose Moose antics have made Elchfest a dexterity staple of WBC in recent
years. Also earning Top Six nods were Pierre LeBoeuf, Terry Coleman and Gregory
Crowe for their efforts with 18XX, March Madness and Titan: The Arena
respectively. More details are available at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc13/topgm.htm.

2013 AFTER ACTION REPORTS: The latest WBC Event After Action Report pages
complete with the latest Laurel counts and photos as only WBC does them are now
available at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook13/.  We suggest you peruse
them to recall last summer's fun or see what you missed before deciding what
events to support with your votes when renewing your 2014 membership next
month. Pay special attention to the Acquire report to see an entertaining
example of how games can be memorialized and recorded in the age of technology.
Or go directly to http://youtu.be/VQS4qTG4spo. Please DO NOT rejoin for 2014
yet - wait for the ballot and membership form to be made available when the
annual December Membership Drive is announced shortly.

2014 CENTURY: The initial lineup of events for the 2013 Century and potential
Trial events pending the Annual Membership vote and GM commitments is now
listed at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/orphans.htm.  13 events won Century
status (Andean Abyss, Castles of Burgundy, Cities & Knights, Enemy in Sight,
Goa, Great Campaigns, Mr Madison's War, Pro Golf, Puerto Rico, Small World,
Titan Two, Virgin Queen, and War of the Ring). A like number were demoted and
now need a sponsor or membership support in the Trial vote to be eligible for a
return in 2014 (Baltimore & Ohio, Adventurers, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics,
Empire of the Sun, A Few Acres of Snow, A House Divided, Labyrynth, Maneuveur,
Monsters Menace America, Tigers in the Mist, Union Pacific and Wellington).  In
addition, the Board has expanded the Century group to 109 events by granting
Legacy status to Afrika Korps.

DECEMBER MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: The Annual Membership Drive when we offer our lowest
rates and free premiums is just days away but please do not respond until we
announce the opening in our next newsletter once the official ballot and
membership form are posted. Your participation in the Trial event selection is
an important part in the process so please wait until everything is in place so
as to take part in the vote. You will find the Membership form combined with
the ballot for our Sportsmanship Award and 2014 Trial events at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml. The Membership Drive
commences December 1st and lasts one month - after which it will be too late to
vote or get free premiums and the least expensive WBC admission rates.

PRE-REGISTRATION CHANGES & PRICE INCREASES: There will be changes to our
usually stable price structure in 2014 and we want everyone to be aware of it
while there is still time to avoid extra expense - so be sure to check out the
changes at http://boardgamers.org/directorschair/directorschair2013-12.shtml
before making your decision to delay your membership renewal.

2014 SPORTSMANSHIP NOMINEES: The candidates for this year's Sportsman of the
Year are now listed at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/sportmanNominees.htm.
Please peruse them and cast a vote for your pick when renewing your membership
in December. Help us reward great sportsmanship with a free room by electing a
truly deserving winner.

PBeM NEWS:

GETTYSBURG UNDERWAY: A field of 28 Civil War generals kicked off the 4th BPA
PBeM tournament on schedule in mid-November in the first  of five four-month
rounds of SIngle Elimination play. You can follow the progress at
http://wargameacademy.org/G88/G88-BPA-PBEM-IV/.

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: Our European contingent is aquitting itself well. So
far, four games have completed, with Jonas Lundgvist, Mads
Lunau, Javier de la Fuente scoring wins. Only Robert Kircher has won among the
Americans thus far. WIth six games still active, the competition for slots in
the Final is fierce, and nobody has actually secured their place yet. Early
returns mark Babylon as the favored spot to be this year, with two wins so far.
Updates are posted on http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/.  For anybody interested in
the 2014 tournament, and wanting to learn the site, free play is available at
http://civ.rol-play.com/.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.