BPA January News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 06:45:54 -0800 (PST)
SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR PETER ELDRIDGE:  BPA is pleased to announce that one of
our repeat overseas visitors, Peter Eldridge of the UK, has been named 2012
Sportsman of the Year by vote of the membership in our Annual Membership Drive.
Peter was one of 22 worthy nominees named on our membership ballot and garnered
13% of the votes in narrowly defeating another Peter, CABS own Pete Stein, by a
single vote. Both owed their nominations to chivalrous behavior in close
contests and the Sportsmanship Award was ultimately decided in an election that
was every bit as evenly matched. In becoming our first foreign Sportsmanship
winner, Mr Eldridge demonstrated that we colonials have finally forgiven that
little matter of burning our capital during the War of 1812. Or, perhaps given
the cynical nature of our current politics, he was rewarded for his ancestors'
foresight. In any case, Peter will receive a free room at the next WBC in
addition to being admitted to our Sportsmanship Hall of Fame. Other nominees
who fared well in the membership vote were Barry Shutt who finished third with
9% of the vote, Roger Taylor at 8%, and Evan Hitchings and John Sharp with 7%
each.  Further details are available at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc12/sportman.htm.

2013 WBC TRIAL EVENTS NAMED: BPA thanks its early commitment 2013 members for
participating in our Annual Membership Drive and the associated voting process
that qualified this year's Continuing Trial events. A record number of votes
were cast and the amount needed to make the cutoff grew 5% despite the presence
of 12 more eligible candidates on the ballot. To no one's surprise, long
standing favorite Puerto Rico led the vote to retain Trial status after being
dropped from the Century ranks for failure to submit a required report. The
only question is who will step up to assume GM duties for this major event.
Gaining entrance for the first time were Virgin Queen, Castles of Burgundy,
Cities & Knights and Andean Abyss. Returning events of yesteryear granted a
second life by the voters were Naval War and Tikal. Seemingly dropping from the
ranks for the first time were Leaping Lemmings, Win, Place & Show, Founding
Fathers, Caylus, Conquest of Paradise, Kaiser's Pirates, King Philip's War, Age
of Steam and Twilight Imperium. More details including the complete voting
breakdown are provided at http://boardgamers.org/wbc13/trialvote.htm.

The top 25 events are now eligible for inclusion in WBC 2013 upon receipt of a
suitable event form by March 15th from a current BPA member willing to serve as
the GM. Events for which no such GM is forthcoming by that date will be
replaced by BPA from those events on the Alternate list with a GM Commitment on
record. Vendors and sponsors may also select new events or add those from the
Alternate list. To be added to the Alternate list, an event must have an event
form submitted to BPA by a willing GM who is a current member.

GMs are reminded to renew their memberships AND submit an event form by January
31st to be among the first events assigned when the Orphans List is updated.
This new method of handling GM reservations is intended to increase involvement
among the membership in GM commitments. Even if you are not selected to run an
event your offer will highlight you as a possible assistant for that event -
and willing assistants are in great demand. Some of your fellow members run
and/ or assist many events. They could use some help.

2012 SURVEY RESULTS: The results of the recent membership survey have been
posted in the form of a new Tenth Seat report from the CD's chair at
http://boardgamers.org/directorschair/directorschair2013-01.shtml designed to
double as an informative FAQ page with everything you ever wanted to know about
WBC. Warning: its a long read so settle down with a favorite beverage and comfy
chair before you attempt to take it all in.

WAM XI ALMOST HERE:  Next up is the eleventh Winter Activation Meeting for
players of Card Driven Wargames to be held at the Timonium Holiday Inn, in
Timonium, MD January 24-27, 2013. The four tournaments will be Twilight
Struggle, Washington's War, Hannibal and Labyrinth plus the usual open gaming
opportunities. Full schedule and pricing information is available at
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/wam13ann.htm.

NEW EUROQUEST OWNERSHIP: The Boardgame Players' Association announces that it
is no longer involved in the ownership or management of the Euroquest gaming
convention. Euroquest has grown from its origins as a BPA mini-con to a full
fledged convention in its own right, and will operate as such from now on.
Games Club of Maryland, which has heretofore acted as our management team for
that conference, has graciously agreed to continue the convention and is now
the sole owner of that entity. Laurels earned at the 2012 Euro Quest will count
towards the BPA's 2013 Caesar Award but will be the last Euroquest laurels
entered into our system.  Please direct all future Euroquest correspondence to
Michele Mazzola - gcom.president [at] gmail.com.

2012 PATRONS: BPA's list of Patrons for 2012 is now posted at
http://boardgamers.org/wbc12/patrons.htm. Please report any inaccuracies to cd
[at] boardgamers.org no later than February 28th to ensure an accurate listing
in the upcoming Yearbook.

EURO CO-ORDINATION: Eric Freeman is again volunteering to co-ordinate Euro
events in an attempt to minimize scheduling conflicts. If you'd  like to be
part of this effort, contact freemaneric [at] comcast.net

2013 BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to
nominate members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC.
To appear on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least
three members; one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be signed
and received at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February
28th to be eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT
acceptable, nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members are urged to consider that the BPA conducts
most of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing
to offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

PBeM NEWS:

SCHULZ WINS SPEED CIRCUIT: 37 drivers competed over two heats to qualify 12 of
their number for the feature race on the new Montreal circuit. Three hard laps
forced only one retirement - and that was just before the last corner of the
third lap. Jeff Cornett led for most of the race only to be passed on the last
straight by usual WBC GM Doug Schulz for the win. John Shaheen took third place
laurels followed by Tim Mossman with a pair of Italian drivers, Turyko Suky and
Guiseppe Incorpora, taking 5th and 6th place laurels respectively. More details
and updated laurels can be found at
http://boardgamers.org/yearbook12/sctpge.htm.

PATHS OF GLORY:  The 4th BPA PBeM tournament for Paths of Glory is scheduled
for a February 1st start on ACTS. Details are available at
https://sites.google.com/site/pathsofglory2013/. To register email the GM at
preese444 [at] gmail.com.

WASHINGTON'S WAR: GM Keith Wixson will start a new Washington’s War PBeM
tournament on February 1. The format will be Swiss-Elimination with four rounds
of Swiss play followed by three elimination rounds for eight quarterfinalists.
Games will be played via ACTS. For details, see the tournament website at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bc94/waw/index.html . To sign up for the
tournament please send an email to keith.wixson [at] verizon.net. Players must
have a current 2013 BPA membership (at least Associate level) as of January 26
in order to participate. Memberships do not need to be current to remain in the
tournament to completion, but will be verified prior to the start of play.

PRO GOLF: Its time again for that ultimate test of skill: PBeM Pro Golf! Can
you steal Yoshi's green jacket? The fourth annual BPA PBeM rendition begins on
April 1, 2013, approximately one week before the 2013 Masters tournament
begins.  Email GM Bruce Monnin (bdmonnin [at] nktelco.net) to enter. For
details, see the event webpage at:
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/pro_golf_PBeM_2013.html

ADVANCED CIVILIZATION: Signups are now open for the 2013 Advanced Civilization
PBeM tournament. The event structure will involve two concurrent preliminary
games with game winners advancing to a Final round.  The full event should take
approximately 14 months.  Full information is located at
http://bpa-civ.rol-play.com/. To enter, email the GM at kevinyouells [at]
gmail.com before March 1st.

NAPOLEONIC WARS PROGRESS: The Napoleonic Wars PBeM tournament is coming down
the homestretch with Rich Shipley in the driver's seat as the only player to
win with all three nations and the only British victor. It has not been
Britain's finest hour. Thus far, no game has gone to a fifth turn. For the
latest results check out the website at
https://sites.google.com/site/wilphe/home/tnw-2-5-2012/stan.

WAR AT SEA PROGRESS: The Ninth BPA War At Sea PBeM Tournament began on
September 1, 2012.  The single elimination event drew 41 entrants and is now
down to just 10 players remaining. Ed Menzel is the only player to reach the
Final Four so far.  Phil Watkins, Vince Meconi, Rob Drozd and Michael Ussery
are also still alive in the Elite Eight.
For the bracket for this year, see:
http://www.nktelco.net/bdmonnin/was-brack-2012.htm

BATTLES OF AMERICAN REVOLUTION PROGRESS: The 2012 Battles of the American
Revolution PBeM Tournament got under way with 24 entrants for the first round.
The tournament features play of every BAR title in chronological order by year.
There will be six preliminary rounds and players may play in any or all of the
preliminary rounds regardless of record. Those who score highest in the
preliminary rounds will advance to four rounds of single elimination play.  For
more information see http://www.ohiovalleygamers.org/boarpbem.html.

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC SF RESULTS: The highest seed eliminated the lowest
remaining seed in the last semifinal. The USN finally dominated an entire
round. Daniel Blumentritt, the tenth seed, escaped the dreaded bye to move into
the Final vs. Tim Tow, the 12th seed, coming off his own bye. The 14th seed has
won the tournament before, but we won't see that record fall this time as Rob
Drozd (16th seed) is eliminated. However, whether Tim or Daniel prevails in the
Final, we'll crown a new player with a major championship! Check out the
details at http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_bpa/vitp_bpa_single_elim_11.htm.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list otherwise.