BPA December News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:58:18 -0800 (PST)
ANNUAL DECEMBER MEMBERSHIP DRIVE NOW UNDERWAY: Renew your Sustaining or Tribune
membership for 2013 by December 31st to get a free WBC souvenir T-Shirt or Cap
and full-color yearbook. We urge you to renew memberships for 2013 NOW through
the end of the year both to save money with our lowest rates and to vote your
choice of the 25 Continuing Trial events and the winner of our annual
Sportsmanship Award. Vote to retain your favorite events or introduce new ones
when submitting your membership form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml. Your vote must be postmarked
by December 31st to count and be accompanied by payment of 2013 membership
dues. Check the full details of membership at
http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.htm for payment deadlines and shirt size
exceptions.

SPORTSMAN NOMINEES: The list of 2012 Sportsmanship nominees is now on line.
Before renewing your BPA membership, please check all the worthy candidates
there and select one to support on your ballot.  Reward good sportsmanship with
free lodging at the 2013 WBC. The background for the list on your membership
ballot can be found at: http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/sportmanNominees.htm

NEW FOR 2013: BPA is pleased to once again hold the line on prices and
continues to offer what we think is the best value in gaming.

•  WBC is again experiencing enhanced interest from a variety of publishers.
Expect to see some exciting new product lines this summer in the vendors room.

•  The Stitches comedy club will remain dark this summer so that we can use the
Wheatland room for multi-player gaming all week long!

• The WBC Juniors room will remain in the Vista room and the Juniors program
will be running from Tuesday onwards.

• The Expo Center has been reserved as a fallback position should it be needed
to handle another HVAC failure.

• The Poolside Pavillion has been added as a secondary open gaming site for
those who prefer their gaming by the pool.

ONLINE PAYMENT AVAILABLE: Submit your membership application online (and vote)
at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml. (Print a copy for back-up
in case there is a problem with the submission.) Pay for your membership by
mailing a check or money order payable to "BPA" to 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air,
MD 21015. Alternatively, you can use a credit or debit card online using
PayPal--whether or not you have a PayPal account. (Payment via credit or debit
card is not available at the door.) Simply go to http://www.paypal.com, log-in
or click the link to "Send Money Online", and send the funds to paypal [at]
boardgamers.org. If you will be sending the funds from a different e-mail
address than the one used in the application, please indicate what and who the
funds cover in the PayPal message section.

WBC SURVEY: As polltakers we are far from perfect, and omitted a choice of
"never attended" for those who have not yet been to WBC. However, we'd still
like to hear from those who have never been to WBC but are considering doing so
and have altered the question to provide that response. Please feel free to
respond to the survey answering only those parts applicable to you. Our sincere
thanks to all who took the time to respond. We received over 700 replies in the
first three days and this will be an important tool in deciding the location
and form of WBC in the years ahead as your Board undertakes some very important
decisions. To that end, we are asking those of you who have not yet responded
to take a few moments to complete the free online survey at
http://bpasurvey.drupalgardens.com/. The survey will remain live through
December 22nd so you still have three weeks to respond. We know you are busy.
However, we rarely ask for such information and this will be your best chance
to influence the future course of the convention for years to come - from
badgeholders to location to prizes - this is your chance to sound off. Whether
you attend every year, infrequently, or have never yet actually made the trip
but are contemplating doing so, we'd like to hear from you, so please take the
time to let us know where you stand. And we'll return the favor later with a
thorough analysis of the results.

2012 AFTER ACTION REPORTS: The WBC 2012 Event After Action Report pages
complete with the latest Laurel counts and photos as only WBC does them are
available at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook12/ .  Laurel lists have also
been updated to include the 2012 Euroquest laurelists. We suggest you peruse
them to recall last summer's fun or see what you missed before deciding which
events to support with your Trial event votes when renewing your 2013
membership.

2013 CENTURY: The initial lineup of eligible events for the 2013 Century and
potential Trial events pending the Annual Membership vote and GM commitments
has been updated at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/orphans.htm. It is now
closed to  additional entries for  the Membership ballot but we will still
accept event forms for Alternate status  to fill any vacancies and/or troll for
Sponsor support. And you can now claim any OPEN event by completing the
required event form at http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after
reading the GM Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing
happens at WBC without a willing GM behind it. But please ... do NOT volunteer
unless you are going to fulfill the obligation. We again had to penalize events
due to GM failure to keep their commitment.  Remember that the next time you
lament why your favorite game is not an event at WBC.

GMs are reminded to renew their memberships AND submit an event form by January
31st. At that time, the first events with a satisfactory GM commitment will be
assigned and the Orphans List updated.  This new method of handling GM
reservations is intended to encourage more involvement among the membership in
GM commitments. Even if you are not selected to run an event your offer will
highlight you as a possible assistant for that event - and willing assistants
are in great demand. Some of your fellow members run or assist in as many as a
dozen events. They could use some help.

WAM XI:  Next up is the eleventh Winter Activation Meeting for players of Card
Driven Wargames to be held at the Timonium Holiday Inn, in Timonium, MD January
24-27, 2013. The four tournaments will be Twilight Struggle, Washington's War,
Hannibal and Labyrinth plus the usual open gaming opportunities. BPA has
secured a group room rate of $99 per night plus applicable taxes for those
making their reservations before January 11th, 2013 or when our roomblock sells
out, whichever occurs first. Full schedule and pricing information is available
at http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/wam13ann.htm and register at
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/registerwam.htm.

EURO CO-ORDINATION: Eric Freeman is again volunteering to co-ordinate Euro
events in an attempt to minimize scheduling conflicts. If you'd  like to be
part of this effort, contact freemaneric [at] comcast.net

FACTS IN FIVE: Have you played Facts In Five at WBC and said to yourself
afterwards, "Hey, I've got a great idea for some questions!" If so, we're
looking to have a guest round of questions. If you're interested in being an
AGM and guest round writer, send an e-mail to johncorrado [at] hotmail.com!"

BoD NOMINATIONS: All BPA members are hereby notified of their right to nominate
members for the three Board seats whose terms expire at the next WBC. To appear
on the ballot, a member must be nominated in writing by at least three members;
one of which must be himself/herself. Nominations must be signed and received
at BPA, 1541 Redfield Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015 no later than February 28th to be
eligible for election in that year. NOTE: Email nominations are NOT acceptable,
nor can a member nominate more than one member for the Board. When
contemplating nominations, members are urged to consider that the BPA conducts
most of its business by email and needs Board members who are able and willing
to offer their time and skills to the organization in a timely manner. Board
members should be considered more for their ability to contribute to the
running of a successful company than for their attachment to any particular
game or genre. Besides forwarding a signed nomination, each nominee should
submit by March 1st a statement not to exceed 100 words summarizing what they
can contribute in service to the Board of Directors of the BPA. The nomination
form is on line at http://www.boardgamers.org/bpanom.htm

PBeM NEWS:

PATHS OF GLORY:  The 4th BPA PBeM tournament for Paths of Glory is scheduled
for a February 1st start on ACTS. Details are available at
https://sites.google.com/site/pathsofglory2013/. To register email the GM at
preese444 [at] gmail.com.

WASHINGTON'S WAR: GM Keith Wixson will start a new Washington’s War PBeM
tournament on February 1. The format will be Swiss-Elimination with four rounds
of Swiss play followed by three elimination rounds for eight quarterfinalists.
Games will be played via ACTS. For details, see the tournament website at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bc94/waw/index.html . To sign up for the
tournament please send an email keith.wixson [at] verizon.net. Players must
have a current 2013 BPA membership (at least Associate level) as of January 26
in order to participate. Memberships do not need to be current to enter the
tournament, but will be verified prior to the start of play.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail  to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list  otherwise.