BPA November 2012 News
From: Donald Greenwood CD (cdboardgamers.org)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:15:43 -0800 (PST)
BRAD JOHNSON IS GM OF THE YEAR:  The Illinois native who has run Dune for the
past 12 years has won our Top GM honor and free lodging at the next WBC with a
narrow victory over Ed Beach who once again finished second in the voting while
administering his Here I Stand event. It was Ed's sixth appearance in the Top
Six selections. The other Top Six GM performances were  earned by Eric Brosius
(Princes of Florence), Pierre LeBoeuf (18XX), Tom Browne (Dominion) and Bill
Morse (Grognards). More details are available at
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc12/topgm.htm.

EMERICK WINS SIEGELMAN AWARD:  Andrew Emerick narrowly defeated Magic Men
teammate Sceadeau D'Tela to take the Harald Siegelman Award home from Euro
Quest to Connecticut along storm drenched roads from Hurricane Sandy. Andrew
won Saint Petersburg and Egizia while scoring with a second in Dominion and a
fifth in Ticket to Ride to amass his winning total. Sceadeau did his damage by
winning Thurn & Taxis and Dominion while taking third in Puerto Rico and fourth
in Agricola. Other winners were Liz Anderson (Ticket to Ride) at her first EQ,
Alex Bove (Stone Age), Robert Kircher (Settlers), Scott Fenn (Ra), Richard Shay
(Puerto Rico), Bill Crenshaw (Power Grid), LuAnn Stubbs (7 Wonders) and Eric
Wrobel (Agricola).  Congratulations to Amy Rule and Marcia Morelli for
successfully pinch-hitting for ailing CD Norman Rule in the wake of a hurricane
to continue a convention whose very existence was in doubt 48 hours prior to
the first game. For more details, see
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/eq12.htm.

2012 AFTER ACTION REPORTS: The latest WBC Event After Action Report pages
complete with the latest Laurel counts and photos as only WBC does them are now
available at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook12/.  Laurel lists have been
updated to include the 2012 Euroquest laurelists as well. We suggest you peruse
them to recall last summer's fun or see what you missed before deciding what
events to support with your votes when renewing your 2013 membership next
month. Please DO NOT rejoin for 2013 yet - wait for the ballot and membership
form to be made available when the annual December Membership Drive is
announced in our next newsletter.

2012 CENTURY: The initial lineup of events for the 2013 Century and potential
Trial events pending the Annual Membership vote and GM commitments is now
listed at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/orphans.htm. The Player Hour formula
was adjusted to compensate for the air conditioning issues in Lampeter last
summer with events so affected given a boost matching the overall decrease in
participation for events held there. Seven events won admission to the Century
for the first time (Baltimore & Ohio, Commands & Colors Napoleonics, Egizia, A
Few Acres of Snow, Julius Caesar, Navegador, and Sekigahara). Another four
events returned to the Century after a year or more absence (Adventurers,
Diplomacy, Hammer of the Scots and Stockcar Championship Racing).

WBC SURVEY: Expanding attendance and recent developments require us to take a
long look at what the future holds for our annual gaming convention and how we
might best go about serving the needs of our members - both new and old. Since
these potential changes require long term planning over the course of several
years and major financial commitments, we want to start the process with as
complete a survey of our membership's likes and dislikes - past, present and
future - as possible. To that end, we are asking you to take a few moments to
respond to a free online survey at http://bpasurvey.drupalgardens.com/. We know
you are busy and don't want to waste your time. However, we rarely ask for such
information and this will be your best chance to influence the future course of
the convention for years to come. So a few moments response now may save you
considerable anguish later.  Whether you attend every year, infrequently, or
have never yet actually made the trip but are contemplating doing so, we'd like
to hear from you, so please take the time to let us know where you stand.

WAM 2013: A poll of the regular suspects has resulted in the following
tournaments being scheduled for 2013's pre-Super Bowl weekend gathering of card
sharks at the Timonium, MD Holiday Inn: Twilight Struggle, Washington's War,
Hannibal, and Labyrinth. Get the details at
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/wam13ann.htm and register at
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/registerwam.htm.

LAST CHANCE FOR EVENT BALLOT INCLUSIONS:  December is almost here - and with
its arrival it will be too late to muster support for a new WBC event by
placing it on the membership ballot. Every year people lament Game X not being
offered as an event. For that to happen, someone must be willing to GM it and
step forward to do so early enough to get it on the annual ballot. That time is
now. Such events can be new or old but must be in print by March 15th, 2013.
Those wishing to put  an event on the membership ballot AND who are willing to
GM that event  should complete the required event form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php after reading the GM
Guidelines linked from the start of that event form. Nothing happens at WBC
without a willing GM behind it. But please ... do NOT volunteer unless you are
going to fulfill ALL the obligations.

DECEMBER MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: The Annual Membership Drive when we offer our lowest
rates and free premiums is just days away but please do not respond until we
announce the opening in our next newsletter once the official ballot and
membership form are posted. Your participation in the Trial event selection is
an important part in the process so please wait until everything is in place so
as to take part in the vote.

PBeM NEWS:

SINIGAGLIO WINS BITTER WOODS: The BPA PBeM Deluxe Bitter Woods Tournament
featuring the play of the 16AM Offensive has ended with Bruno Sinigaglio’s
Germans defeating Bill Morse for his third consecutive PBeM Bitter Woods title.
 The tournament used a single elimination format with no byes. Players defeated
in earlier rounds were employed as Eliminators to complete rounds with an
uneven number of players to avoid byes and minimize the number of rounds
required. A total of 31 games were played by the field of 28 entrants with the
Germans winning 16. The player pool was split by AREA rating. The 14 players
with the higher AREA ratings in one pool were randomly paired versus the
players with the lower ratings. As the winner, Bruno receives a BPA  Plaque and
a $50.00 gift certificate for a WBC vendor of choice. In addition, Charles
Drozd, the highest achieving player in the lower half of the pool also receives
a $50.00 gift certificate. Other laurel earners in order from 3rd to 6th were:
Tom Gregorio, Larry Hollern, Steve Likevich and Randy Heller. Updated laurel
totals are posted at http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook12/bwdpge.htm.

MECAY WINS MANIFEST DESTINY: Stefan Mecay won the 2010-12 Manifest Destiny PBeM
tournament.  He cruised to victory in the first three rounds and despite
finishing last in the final round, sealed the deal by taking out the only
two-game winner after three rounds (Bill Crenshaw, who finished fourth in the
final round but second in the tournament).  Carl Damcke won the #1 table in the
last round to grab third place overall, edging out Greg Stripes on the cash
tiebreaker (who with his strong performance in the last two rounds finished
fourth overall).  Pete Pollard came in third on the #1 table in the last round
and sixth overall.  Jeff Mullet’s win in Round 2 and close seconds in the last
two rounds earned him fifth overall. For more details and updated laurel
totals, see http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook12/mfdpge.htm.

PATHS OF GLORY:  The 4th BPA PBeM tournament for Paths of Glory is scheduled
for a February 1st start on ACTS. Details are available at
https://sites.google.com/site/pathsofglory2013/. To register email the GM at
preese444 [at] gmail.com.

WASHINGTON'S WAR: GM Keith Wixson will start a new Washington’s War PBeM
tournament on February 1. The format will be Swiss-Elimination with four rounds
of Swiss play followed by three elimination rounds for eight quarterfinalists.
Games will be played via ACTS. For details, see the tournament website at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bc94/waw/index.html . To sign up for the
tournament please send an email keith.wixson [at] verizon.net. Players must
have a current 2013 BPA membership (at least Associate level) as of January 26
in order to participate. Memberships do not need to be current to enter the
tournament, but will be verified prior to the start of play.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters, please subscribe by
visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail  to confirm your
address. Subscribing is free, takes only a moment and ensures your privacy. We
are unable to add you to our mailing list  otherwise.

  • (no other messages in thread)