WBC Primer
From: Donald greenwood (doncon99toad.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:27:29 -0700 (PDT)
WBC 2008 is almost upon us. You'll soon be hip deep in more gaming than most of us do in a year, so before your senses become dulled by sleep deprivation, listen up. If you're new to WBC, I suggest you read our greeting to newcomers at http://www.boardgamers.org/first.htm

TEAM TOURNAMENT: The odds are now posted for the 17th running for the slivers. Although there is no event pre-registration (except for the Pre-Cons), pre-registration IS required for the Team Tournament and time is FAST running out. Check out the field this year and your team's status at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/teamtour.htm and remember to post your own score on our self-scoring Team Tournament display in the Ballroom Foyer.

STILL NOT REGISTERED?: We will process all registrations received up till Friday, July 25th, but be prepared to have to pay at the door should your payment not have arrived by then. Checks arriving after the 26th will NOT be deposited. Pre-registration is officially over but procrastinators rejoice ... our busy CD will accept email pre-registrations for those with Paypal accounts until Thursday, July 31st. Thereafter, walk-on rates apply. Paypal payments are subject to a 10% surcharge but that is still less than walk-on rates. Inquire at doncon99 [at] toad.net for details.

PRE-CONS: Tribune level members may freely attend any and all Pre-Cons. All others must pay a separate Pre-Con admission. While Pre-Con walk-ons are allowed, doing so will cost an extra $10 since Pre-Reg discounts do not apply at the door. If you've decided to come early for a pre-con, save yourself both money and time by getting the pre-reg rate. If you'd like to partake in the Sampler Showcase or any Pre-Con and have neglected to purchase all-inclusive Tribune memberships or separate Pre-Con admissions, don't wait till you arrive to do so since the reprinting of badges will slow your registration process and the cost will be higher. Just email your intent to us at doncon99 [at] toad.net by July 28th for payment on arrival and we will have the appropriate badge waiting for you to speed you on your way.

WBC AUCTION: The Auction begins at 10 AM Tuesday and will conclude prior to the regular tournament fare at 6 PM, thus allowing us to keep our competitive focus. Check out the updated list of past favorites being auctioned at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/auction.htm. This year, although items will not be offered in numerical order, the Auction Staff will announce Lot Numbers so those of you who like to follow along and make notes can do so. You might find it advantageous to print out the list at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/auctionlots.htm to follow along with the bidding. Items are NO LONGER being accepted for the auction. Procrastinators are directed to use the Auction Store instead, but be advised that pre-registration is required there as well.

AUCTION STORE: You may bring items for the Store with three timed set sales prices up to $30. Be sure to download Auction Store forms so you can have them completed when you arrive with your items and Pre-Register what you will bring to AuctionStore [at] boardgamers.org. The Auction Store Administer will then send you the lot numbers for your Auction Store Items. This form will be used to track your sales. The lot number should then be entered on your Auction Store Item Sheet that you bring with you to WBC. The Registration Fee is due at the time items are dropped off. See http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/auctionstore.htm for details.

Auction and Auction Store sales are strictly cash-only affairs so bring your wallet. While there is an ATM on the premises outside the Wheatland room, it is often empty during sold out conventions so we suggest bringing the cash you'll need.

Turn your lots in for the Auction and Auction Store at the Lancaster Showroom either Monday between 8 and 10 PM or Tuesday between 8 AM and noon.

BADGEHOLDERS: WBC uses a deluxe badge holder which comfortably loops around your neck and has pockets for extras like keys, cash or pen. They ain't cheap tho and we can't afford to give them away every year, so please either bring your badge holder back from previous years AND HAVE IT WITH YOU at Registration, or be prepared to cough up a token $2 fee for a replacement. So remember when leaving to tuck that badge holder inside your favorite game to ensure a return trip to WBC next year and save $2.

You must wear your badge in order to play. There will be a $5 fee for replacement badges.

T-SHIRTS: WBC Souvenir T's have returned to the original silk-screened version of the BPA logo but MUST be pre-ordered. Available in light blue (and white only for ladies styles), we've returned the price to a bargain $12 for sizes Small to XL. Add $4 for XXL or XXXL. We'll accept email orders TODAY ONLY for COD payment. Email your order including size to doncon99 [at] toad.net by July 21st.

PROGRAM: The 2008 program is a streamlined, black & white only version that will be available at registration. Those who have grown accustomed to the comforts of a full color presentation or who cannot wait to get their hands on a printout of the upcoming schedule may download it now in full color at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/schedule.htm in one of three formats: booklet form, spread format or one page per sheet. The full color Yearbook of last year's highlights is now available only as a premium to Tribune and early Supporting members.

NEW VENDORS: We are pleased to have back many of your favorite dealers while welcoming Flying Buffalo and Our Game Table/Sherco Games to their first WBC. Remember to save time for a visit to their displays in Ballroom A Friday thru Sunday between 10 AM and 6 PM. Thank these folks for taking the time to support WBC by checking out their products.

SAMPLER SHOWCASE: This ten-game Demonstration Pre-Con running from 10 AM Monday to 5 PM Tuesday is back and now includes FOUR tournaments. It starts with a Through the Ages Mulligan round on Sunday, and continues with San Juan and Maneuver tournaments with ten demos of new games in Open Gaming format. A two-round Die Macher tournament follows at 6 PM to conclude the tournament Pre-Con action for early arrivals. See http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/sampler.htm for details on all ten games offered in the Samper Showcase.

NEW ROOMS: Past attendees will note the use of several new meeting rooms this year.

• Vistas C&D is located next to Vistas Restaurant and will be used for all two-player Open Gaming after 5 PM Thursday. Please respect the restaurant's patrons by keeping the noise to a minimum and entering and leaving only by the front entrance. Failure to do so will result in your ouster and our loss of this space in the future.

• Laurel Grove is a small room located to the right of the front desk on the floor below the lobby. It is to be used for "monster" open gaming - multi-map games that need to be left setup overnight.

• Host A & Host B are meeting rooms on the lower level in the corridor leading to the guest rooms. They will be used for multi-player events from Tuesday thru Friday. Go to the Kinderhook-Hopewell intersection and follow the signs.

• Wheatland is no longer available for Open Gaming. However, it is the site of a weekend comedy club if you're into that kind of break.

OPEN GAMING: Open Gaming requires a WBC badge at all times. It is limited to Ballroom A until Thursday at 5 PM when the Ballroom will be switched over to Vendor space. Thereafter, two-player Open Gaming will be limited to Vistas C&D and Multi-Player Open Gaming will be limited to the Ballroom Foyer, Fireplace Lobby and Paradise Terrace. Games may be left setup overnight for continuation the next morning at the owner's risk. However, any game abandoned for more than an hour during prime game time runs the risk of being removed to Lost & Found. "Saving" of tables is not allowed. Sales soliicitations are likewise limited to authorized vendors. A white Board will be available for those listing Open Gaming desires. Before the con, use our Pre-Reg page at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/prereg.htm to make Open Gaming appointments.

Using the preliminary round of scheduled events as a form of scheduled Open Gaming is a common practice. However, if you win your game and have no desire to continue in the event, please so inform the GM. Above all, do not abandon a game in progress if you are playing in a tournament.

REGISTRATION DESK: Convention registration is on the lower level in the New Holland room. The desk will be open from 8 AM to 9 PM Tuesday thru Saturday; 12 PM to 6 PM Sunday, and 8 AM to 6 PM Monday. Be sure to stop by before departing to pick up any prizes won. Whether pre-registered or not - report to New Holland to pick up your badge and program.

JUNIORS: Before you unleash the kids, be advised that those 12 and under who wish to play in the Juniors events or game in the Juniors room must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to sign a consent form before being allowed to use the room. The Juniors program will benefit from the recent opening of a children's playground nearby in the Lancaster Room complete with toddler toys, computers, and a widescreen television... so bring the kids. And make time on your schedule Saturday afternoon for a parent/child team event - crokinole - which is a form of shuffleboard for finger flickers. And don't forget the children's movies each night at poolside.

The teens will again benefit from a social hour all their own each evening at 9, ages 12-16. No parental consent form is required but participants must be convention members.

EXHIBITS: Exhibits - not to be confused with Vendors & Sales - are tables reserved for publishers to demonstrate their products, both old and new, and distribute their literature. They may playtest upcoming games or just invite you to Open Game with their products. These tables will be marked as reserved for the various companies and cannot be used for Open Gaming or events without the permission of that exhibitor. Exhibit tables occupy the Ballroom Foyer and the first row of Lampeter Hall.

ABOUT THE HOTEL:
HOTEL RESERVATIONS: The Lancaster Host is soldout. Fortunately, there are many nearby hotels. If you have not booked a room, call the Lancaster reservation center toll free at 1-866-729-5132.

FOREIGN CURRENCY: Exchange of foreign currency is not available locally. Be sure to visit the Foreign Exchange Office at your airport. While the hotel accepts major credit cards, BPA does not, so convention registration and auction purchases must be paid for in American currency. There is a $25 charge for any returned check.

Lancaster is hot and humid in the summer. Dress accordingly and don't forget your swimsuit for a refreshing dip in the Host's outstanding pool or jacuzzi. But also remember to pack a sweater should the air conditioning be too cool.

REGISTERED? NEED A RIDE/ROOMMATE? BABY SITTING? OPEN GAMING PARTNER? SPOUSAL DIVERSIONS: Check out the pre-reg list at http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/prereg.htm. Car pooling to/from airports is an easy way to save money. Non-gaming spouses: check out the Sit and Knit seminars for alternatives.

TRANSPORTATION: Amtrak is the best option for those unable to drive. See the details on our site at http://www.boardgamers.org/hotellan.htm

MEETINGS: The BPA's Annual Meeting will be held before the Collectibles auction on Tuesday, August 5th at 3 PM in the Lancaster Showroom of Lancaster Host in Lancaster, PA where we will present the Hobby Service Award and the 2008 version of the Board of Directors for your questions.

• At 8 AM on Sunday morning, August 10th the same location will be the site of our Annual Armistice Meeting with the presentation of Awards. All BPA members are encouraged to attend.

• At 7:30 AM Wednesday morning the first ever GM breakfast will be held as our volunteer GMs get a free meal in Vistas Restaurant. Sorry, Invitation only. All others get to sleep in as event starts have been pushed back to 10 AM on Wednesday.

SHOW YOUR COLORS: Saturday, August 9th is the official Game Club T-Shirt Day. Promote your local gaming group and camaraderie by showing everyone your gaming affiliation. You just might gain a few members. Help grow the hobby by wearing your colors. Friday, the 8th, is Team Shirt day. Show the creativity of those clever team names.

POSTERS NA: Attendees are reminded that absolutely NO flyers, posters, or charts of any kind are to be taped, glued, stapled, or adhered in any fashion to any surface at Lancaster Host. Any such materials will be immediately removed. You are welcome to hand out flyers for gaming activities but absolutely no signage of any kind is to be adhered to a wall, furniture or other surface. Those who ignore this rule will be liable for damage claims.

FLEA MARKETS NA: Attendees are reminded that all tables at WBC are reserved for the PLAY of games by those with a current WBC badge. No unauthorized selling, trading, or solicitation is allowed on the premises. Items stacked on tables and games left unattended will be removed.

SMOKING NA: There is no smoking in public areas throughout WBC. If you need to smoke, please step outside. Do NOT open windows ... it only aggravates the air conditioning situation. Attendees are reminded NOT to bring outside food and drink onto the premises. Lancaster Host does not allow it.

DRINK RESPONSIBLY: Every year we wrestle with the problem of alcohol consumption at WBC. While we do not wish to restrict any one's civil liberties, we must protect the majority (especially the children present) from the irresponsible behavior of a few who imbibe too much. Please restrict your social drinking to acceptable levels, and if you have had problems of this sort in the past, we urge you to abstain altogether. Please report any unacceptable behavior to the front desk. Unruly attendees will be removed from the premises and banned from future attendance.

PRIZES: Players are reminded to check the event kiosks in Paradise Terrace to see advancement priority for later rounds. It is not uncommon in multi-player games for non-winners to advance, so if you want to play, always check to see if there are openings in the later rounds. It is not the GM's responsibility to find you. You must check the kiosk to determine your standing or appear at the next round to check for vacancies. If you do win a prize, remember to get it before leaving. Although we hold prizes for pickup next year, we must charge a shipping and handling fee if you want them delivered in the interim. Also, remember to check the back of any Plaques you win in GMT events for merchandise credits offered by GMT.

KIOSKS: When you first arrive, check the Kiosks display in Paradise Terrace. Each is adorned with a pictorial history of the event that furthers the traditions of WBC. Do NOT sign the entrant lists on the Kiosks - those are strictly for the use of GMs. There is no event registration at WBC (except for the Team Tournament). Later, when you want to see if you've done well enough to advance to a subsequent round after a preliminary heat, check out the Alternate & Qualifying lists on these kiosks which should be returned to Paradise Terrace when not in use. Do NOT write on these kiosks! By vandalizing them with your messages you make it that much harder for us to keep prices low and appearances up. Use the paper that is taped to them, not the boards themselves.

EXPERIENCE LEVELS: You are reminded to honor the experience requirements of all events. Class A (red) events are for experienced players only. Class B (yellow) events allow beginners only if you have read the rules or attended the mandatory demonstration in Paradise Assembly. Do NOT expect to be taught the game during the event. Class C (green) events have GMs who have agreed to coach players during play. Please respect these requirements for everyone's enjoyment.

PLAYING TIMES: Be considerate of others and play promptly, keeping within the duration of the event's listed playing time. Failure to do so not only causes problems when the space you occupy is needed for a later scheduled event, it can distress those you play with by making them miss the opportunity to play in another scheduled event. And it slows down the entire tournament while others wait for you to finish before they can start another round. Failure to adhere to the scheduled playing times force GMs to make adjudications which neither they nor you will enjoy - especially since we advise heavy bias against those who play too slow. Most event playing times are already on the long side but if you cannot keep up with even that pace, you should probably restrict your activities to Open Gaming.

BEHAVIOR: We expect everyone to treat others with the same respect they would like to receive in return. Most at WBC are exceedingly well behaved. We'd like your help in weeding out problem players. If you encounter someone who is having a bad day or just being an overall jerk, don't suffer in silence. Report it to your GM so that the GM can take steps to correct the problem. And if you are one of those people who demands absolute silence while you take your turn, don't bother coming. Gaming is about having fun and those around you are going to have theirs whether you are in a Final or not, so lighten up and go with the flow.

And if you are a late night Were Wolf - pleeease return the rooms to the same state you found them. Every year we consider banning late night play because of the mess they leave behind. If you like your all night gaming, don't abuse it. You'll have only yourselves to blame if the meeting rooms are locked at midnight next year.

GAMES: Lastly, remember to bring the games you want to play! Especially those of the two-player variety. If you're driving, toss every game you might want to play in the trunk. Every year people get turned away for lack of games.

......... whew! That's done - ok ... now you're ready to have fun at WBC. See ya soon. Drive safely.

Don Greenwood
WBC Convention Director

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

If you are not already receiving our monthly email newsletters, please subscribe as directed below as we are unable to add you ourselves. To receive our free monthly newsletters you MUST join the BPA mailing list by visiting http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your address and your desire to be on this list. Subscribing takes only a moment, ensures your privacy, and increases likelihood of receipt. The newsletter will continue to be posted in the WBC folder in the Conventions section of Consimworld and on our website but will otherwise be unavailable to those who do not join the list in this fashion. If already receiving the BPA News you need take no additional action.

  • WBC Primer Donald greenwood, July 24 2007
    • WBC Primer Donald greenwood, July 21 2008