BPA November 05 News
From: Don Greenwood (doncon99toad.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:06:12 -0800 (PST)
GM OF THE YEAR: Floridian John Sharp was named the BPA's GM of the Year
for his hosting of our initial The Rising Sun mini-con of Victory in the
Pacific at this summer's WBC Pre-Con. John narrowly defeated John Weber,
the GM of WBC's largest event (Puerto Rico) by a scant four votes in the
Board of Director's new voting system for the award. Mr. Sharp will
receive free accomodations at the 2006 WBC in addition to the honor of
claiming the second leg of our vaulted triple crown of meta-honors. Full
details are available at http://www.boardgamers.org/topgm.htm

WATERLOO III RESULTS: The South rose again at the third Waterloo mini-con
but this time the Greenville Mafia went home empty handed as a different
pair of "southerners" took home the wood. Top honors went to Mark
Hodgkinson of Australia who won the five-player tournament with three
wins in four rounds to take the wood "down under". Meanwhile, a
transplanted Texan garnered the two-player honors as Ken Gutermuth went
undefeated in three tries as the Coalition to edge Scott Moll on a
tie-breaker as both finished 3-1. Scott took some consolation in his Best
Imperial wood with a 3-0 record as the French. Full details are on line
at http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/wat05.htm

NEXT CONFERENCE: The next chance for gaming laurels will be the twin
mini-cons of Euro Quest and D-Day at Days Hotel in Timonium, MD Nov
17th-20th. D-Day starts at 6 PM Friday and is the 8th running of a
dedicated, five round swiss tournament for fans of Breakout Normandy
hosted by the designer. Euro Quest III starts Thursday at noon and
features tournaments in Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Ra, Settlers of Catan,
Goa, Medici, Ticket To Ride, Saint Petersburg Princes of Florence, Power
Grid and Louis XIV plus a popular Wild Card event covering such games as
Attika, Euphrat & Tigris, Lost Cities, San Juan, Tikal, Taj Mahal,
Transamerica and others. One admission fee covers both conventions and
all events.  See http://euroquest.gamesclubofmd.org/EQ_Schedule.aspx for
more details.

EURO QUEST SELLOUT: The Days Hotel is currently sold out of rooms on
Friday and Saturday evening. Continue to check with the Days hotel as
there will be some room cancellations. Alternate hotels within 2 miles in
Cockeysville include the Red Roof Inn at 111 West Timonium Rd
410-666-0380 ($71), Ramada Limited (formerly Econo Lodge) at 10100 York
Rd 410-667-4900  ($70) and the Hampton Inn and Hunt Valley Inn in Hunt
Valley.

LAST CALL FOR NEW EVENTS: There are only two weeks left for prospective
GMs to add an event to the ballot for next year's WBC. If you want to add
a new event to the mix, submit your Event Form at
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/eventfor.htm this month.

NEW WEBMASTER/ACD: BPA is pleased to announce the addition of Kaarin
Engelmann as our new webmaster. Kaarin replaces the retiring Steve
Okonski in the webmaster role. Steve provided years of voluntary service
and yeoman work for BPA in its formative years and will be sorely missed.
Kaarin will also serve as our PR person and new Assistant Convention
Director.

2005 PATRONS: The BPA 2005 Patrons list is on line at
http://www.boardgamers.org/patrons05.htm. Please report any errors of
omission before March. Otherwise, this will be the list featured in the
2006 program.

CLUB LINKS: If your gaming club would like to trade links with the BPA
website, please forward details to Kaarin Englemann at
webmaster [at] boardgamers.org. If your gaming club needs items to run in its
newsletters, let us  know. We can supply a variety of content. We can
even let them know when you win a plaque (so you won't have to toot your
own horn). Send  the club name, web site and e-mail address for the
editor, and your name to clubnews [at] boardgamers.org.

======================

PBeM NEWS

FOR THE PEOPLE: Another rendition of "Can Anyone Beat Pei?" or the third
BPA BPeM tournament of Mark Herman's Civil War card driven wargame will
commence under his direction on December 1st. The format will be Campaign
game, v2.6 of the rules, random determination of side, use of ACTS system
for all card and dice interactions. First three rounds are in Swiss
format. Winner of divisions go to a single elimination format. Check it
out at http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/gmtom/FTPtournament.htm

EMPIRE OF THE SUN: Beginning December 7th, Mark Herman will be hosting
the newest BPA PBeM tournament for his new card driven WW II game Empire
of the Sun using the 1942 Campaign Game and v1.3 of the rules plus
optional Progress of the War rule (available on
http://members.tripod.com/~MarkHerman/index.html), campaign bidding rules
to determine side, use of ACTS system for all card and dice interactions.
Double elimination tournament (play until you have two losses). Check out
the details at http://members.tripod.com/~MarkHerman/EoTSTournament.html

All players buying Associate memberships now to play in these new Email
tournaments will be given 2006 memberships as well. See
http://www.boardgamers.org/bpajoin.htm to join.

WILDERNESS WAR: Round 4 of this six-round tournament has just ended with
three unbeaten players remaining: WBC Champ Ron Fedin, Tom Drueding and
Keith Wixson. In Round 5 Drueding and Wixson are paired while top seed
Fedin plays James Pei, the top AREA rated player with one loss. The
British and French split 20 4th round games with the higher rated player
victorious 13 times. This was the bid breakdown: six games with no bid;
seven with a bid of 1 VP to play the Brits; two with a bid of 2 VPs to
play the Brits; 1 game with a bid of 3 VPs to play the Brits; and 4 games
with a bid of 1 VP to play the French. The ten Brit players who bid for
the honor had a record of 4-6. The French players who bid for France went
2-2. Check out the website at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bc94/

BREAKOUT NORMANDY: Round 5 of the 4th BPA Breakout Normandy PBeM
tournament is underway with three unbeaten survivors vying for the top
rung. Bryan Eshleman, Steve Andriakos and Don Greenwood are all that
remain of the 47 who started single elimination play. Top-rated AREA
player Tom Dworschak rejoins the event as an Eliminator to prevent a bye
with the hope of making this the final round. Details are at
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/bknpbem.htm

WE THE PEOPLE: Keith Wixson will be starting a new PBeM tournament on
January 2nd for this card driven classic played via the ACTS site. See
the details at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bc94/wethepeople/
==============================

All BPA PBeM tournaments require current BPA membership when the event
starts. All multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for
the balance of that calendar year. Associate Calendar year memberships
enabling play in all PBeM events starting in that year cost only $10 and
earn discounts for admission to all BPA gaming conferences. You need not
keep your membership current in order to finish a PBeM event. Players may
join the BPA throughout the year. Members are reminded they can upgrade
their current memberships at any time by remitting the additional funds.
See http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.htm for details.

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite
game are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does
not run tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending
support to one another so such events can happen. No one cares as much
about your hobby as you do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a
BPA email tournament at http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

If you have not yet subscribed to our new mailing list, please do so as
we are unable to add you ourselves. To receive our free monthly
newsletters you MUST join the BPA mailing list by visiting
http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address and your desire to be on this list. Subscribing takes only a
moment, ensures your privacy, and increases likelihood of receipt. The
newsletter will continue to be posted in the WBC folder in the
Conventions section of Consimworld and on our website but will otherwise
be unavailable to those who do not join the list in this fashion.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org

  • (no other messages in thread)