BPA September News
From: Don Greenwood (doncon99toad.net)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
WBC SITE: BPA recently selected Lancaster Host as the site for the World
Boardgaming Championships for the next five years. The choice was made
following an auspicious debut for WBC in the land of the Pennsylvania
Dutch this past August after 12 straight years at Marriott's Hunt Valley
Inn in Hunt Valley, MD. BPA cited more meeting space and amenities at the
Host coupled with affordability as being the key ingredients in
exercising their option to remain at the Host through 2010. The
convention calendar is now posted at www.boardgamers.org. Further details
will be made available in the coming weeks.

BOD ELECTION: All three incumbents were returned to the BPA Board of
Directors in the annual election preceding WBC. The referendum to amend
the by-laws to eliminate term limits also passed by a wide margin.
Details are available at http://www.boardgamers.org/board/boardpag.htm

SERVICE AWARDS: BPA unveiled its Service to the Hobby Awards at this
summer's WBC. Six recipients (one each for each year of WBC) were
selected based on their services to the boardgaming hobby based on the
length, quality and degree of sacrifice of their service to the World
Boardgaming Championships. The first six honorees were Stuart Tucker,
Kathy Stroh, Steve Okonski, Mark McLaughlin, Vincent Meconi and Ken
Whitesell. Each received a BPA jacket and commemorative clock. More
details are available at http://www.boardgamers.org/service.htm

NEXT CONFERENCE: The next BPA convention is Waterloo III for fans of The
Napoleonic Wars which returns to the Hunt Valley Inn in Hunt Valley, MD
on October 28th - 30th. Both 2- and 5-player tournaments will be held
with the usual Best Country wood as special prizes. The Wellington
designer/developer team of Mark McLaughlin and Fred Schachter will also
be present running a side competition in GMT's sequel and newest card
driven game with large demo boards. See
http://www.boardgamers.org/specific/wat05ann.htm for details. BPA has
obtained a very favorable group room rate of $99 per night plus
applicable state and local taxes (currently 13%). To obtain this rate you
must identify your affiliation with the BPA's WATERLOO gaming conference
and make your reservation before September 28th, 2005 (or when our
roomblock sells out, whichever occurs first) at 410-785-7000 weekdays
between 8 AM and 7 PM EST. After September 28thh, reservations will be
accepted on a space or rate available basis.

======================

PBeM NEWS

VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC: The fourth bi-annual BPA tournament will begin
September 15th!  Don't let that day be your "day of infamy," sign up
today by contacting John Pack at john [at] gameaholics.com before 6 PM MDT on
the 15th. Check out the format at
http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_format/vitp_bpa_format.htm as well as the
universal PBEM format at
http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_format/vitp_format.htm.  You can also see
the previous tournament's results at
http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_bpa/vitp_bpa_single_elim_03.htm!

THE NAPOLEONIC WARS: A four-player PBeM event using ACTs will start on
October 15th with registration due no loater than October 10th. Over 50
players have already committed. The official format and regulations can
be found at: http://www.kilfara.dsl.pipex.com/TNW.htm To enter or
volunteer to play as a substitute player, e-mail Darren kilfara at
kilfara [at] dsl.pipex.com

PANZERGRUPPE GUDERIAN: We have 18 players for a September 15th start of
our first email tournament for this SPI classic. We could use a few more.
Still time to join. Check it out at http://armchair-warrior.tripod.com/

MARCH MADNESS: The third annual BPA March Madness PBeM Tournament is
scheduled to begin
October 15th. Join the fun in this quick and easy play by email
tournament. All entrants in this event will receive two teams, one in
each bracket. That ensures that each player gets to play at least two
games.  The brackets are set up so a player who drafts low in one bracket
gets to draft high in the other bracket. For details, see the event
webpage at: http://www.bright.net/~monninb/mms_home_page.html To inspect
the teams to be used, see the teams page at:
http://www.bright.net/~monninb/mms_2005.html

HAMMER OF THE SCOTS: This event is entering the third of five swiss
rounds. 31 players started and 20 remain to contest the third round.  The
English hold a one-game win advantage. Check the standings at
www.geocities.com/firstbse19/hospbem.html Hank Burkhalter's excellent
site enables play - check it out at
http://www.abovethefields.com/gaming/login.aspx

==============================

All BPA PBeM tournaments require current BPA membership when the event
starts. All multi-day paid attendees to WBC are current BPA members for
the balance of that calendar year. Associate Calendar year memberships
enabling play in all PBeM events starting in that year cost only $10 and
earn discounts for admission to all BPA gaming conferences. You need not
keep your membership current in order to finish a PBeM event. Players may
join the BPA throughout the year. Members are reminded they can upgrade
their current memberships at any time by remitting the additional funds.
See http://www.boardgamers.org/bpaterms.htm for details.

BPA members who would like to see an email tournament for their favorite
game are encouraged to step forward as the GM of such an event. BPA does
not run tournaments. Rather, we are an organization of gamers lending
support to one another so such events can happen. No one cares as much
about your hobby as you do. Get involved. See the requirements to host a
BPA email tournament at http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/

If you have not yet subscribed to our new mailing list, please do so as
we are unable to add you ourselves. To receive our free monthly
newsletters you MUST rejoin the BPA mailing list by visiting
http://lists.boardgamers.org/mailman/listinfo/bpamail to confirm your
address and your desire to be on this list. Subscribing takes only a
moment, ensures your privacy, and increases likelihood of receipt. The
newsletter will continue to be posted in the WBC folder in the
Conventions section of Consimworld but will otherwise be unavailable to
those who do not join the list in this fashion.

Visit the BPA website at http://www.boardgamers.org